When some people feel passionate about something, they cannot want to share it with the world. It’s great if it’s a hobby or an idea, but it can be problematic if it involves more personal things, like relationships. Being an over-sharer of your relationship can land you in hot water with bae and result in some questionable looks form your friends.
The tricky thing is that there’s no set definition of what’s considered too much information to share in a relationship. Some people are more open while others are more private. For instance, some people might want to keep their first kiss details under wraps while others will want to shout it from the rooftops.
The best idea is to discuss with your significant other what you consider is appropriate to share and what you should keep between the two of you. If you don’t want to get into it, know that there are some signs to look for that you’re taking things into the TMI zone. These are the 14 signs that you’re likely sharing too much information about your relationship.
1. As soon bae does something cute/annoying/stupid/whatever, your first thought is “I have to tell XXX.”
The more names you add to that sentence, the worse it is.
2. You cannot easily think of things that you’ve kept between you and bae.
How many things can you think of that are just yours and bae’s? If you’re struggling, it’s not the best.
3. You’ve started conversations about your relationship by saying, “This is probably TMI, but …”
If you think it’s TMI, best keep it to yourself.
4. When you have a problem with your relationship, your first instinct is to talk about it with other people.
You’re in the relationship with bae. How about you speak to him/her first? It’ll benefit you more. Trust.
5. Your social media feeds read like a diary of your and bae’s activities.
A running commentary gets into the danger zone of over-sharing.
6. You cannot think of any inside jokes that are just yours and bae’s.
You’ve already told them to your BFF, your other BFF, your sister, your cousin, that lady you talked to on the bus.
7. Your relationship is one of your favorite topics of conversation.
I can understand, but it doesn’t mean it’s everyone‘s favorite topic of conversation…
8. You don’t consider any topic about your relationship off-limits, including your sex life.
Proceed with caution and check with bae before you’re spilling every juicy detail. Once you say something, you can’t take it back.
9. You and bae have gotten into an argument about sharing “private” relationship deets.
Take heed and use that argument as a lesson to prevent future problems.
10. When you mention your SO’s name, you can see the eye rolls and hear the sighs.
Don’t ignore them. Your friends love you and have patience for you, but if they’re sick of hearing about bae, something’s up.
11. Your friends can answer something about bae before you’ve even explained it.
You might think it’s a great sign. They earn points for their thoughtfulness, but it could indicate you’ve been talking too much.
12. …And people have said they feel like they’re in the relationship with your SO.
It’s great that they know your significant other well, but it’s not good if they feel they’re in the relationship, too. Give the bae convo a break.
13. Your SO teases you about how much you talk about your relationship.
There could be a hint in there girl.
14. You have no idea how many people you talk to about your relationship.
Just try and count them for a second. Can you do it?
Have you ever gotten into an argument with bae about divulging stuff about your relationship? Let us know in the comments!
Follow Gurl, Pretty Please!