It’s the summer! Woot. If you’re single, you should own it because this is actually one of the best times of the year to be flying solo. Think about it: The weather is amazing, you hopefully don’t have to go to school, everybody is outside, and you’re not tied down by anyone. That means it’s the perfect opportunity to focus on you.
Of course, if you’re in a relationship, that’s brilliant. I’m not in any way suggesting that you break up with your bae just because it’s more fun to be single in the summer than the rest of the year, come on.
If you’re single and still don’t feel completely comfortable owning your single status this summer, listen up. These are just 16 of the reasons why being single in the summer is the best:
1. You can spend the summer creating epic memories with your friends.
If you were in a relationship last summer, you probably spend a good chunk of time with bae. Maybe, you even ghosted your friends a bit. Not this summer. It’s about, them, and making memories.
2. You can be spontaneous.
If someone has a last-minute ticket to something, or there are some plan changes, you can probably do them right away. You don’t have to worry about checking in with your SO.
3. You don’t have to worry about coordinating your job schedule with bae’s.
I’m free from 4 to 6 on Tuesday and you’re free from 1 to 5 on Tuesday, so maybe we could hang out at four? No, how about next Thursday?
4. You can do whatever you want.
This is your summer. If you want to stay inside and sleep until 3 o’clock, you can. If you want to eat ice cream for breakfast, you can. If you want to go for a walk every day in the park, you can. And you will not have to justify your actions to anyone.
5. You can go to the beach and not feel guilty for admiring the hotties.
Hello, volleyball players, we see you.
6. The summer is one of the best times to have a fling.
They don’t call it summer lovin’ for nothing.
7. You don’t have to worry about Skype dates and FaceTime sessions.
No more, “Sorry, I have to be home by ten so I can talk to bae.”
8. There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people, if you feel so inclined.
The weather is nice so everyone is outside. And everyone is happy and friendly because it’s summertime.
9. You can actually get started on that project you’ve been planning to do for months.
Remember that New Year’s goal you put in place? You’ve got the time to work on it now.
10. You don’t have to worry about another person’s sweat on top of yours.
Gross but true. On sweltering days, hooking up can be rather sticky.
11. You can use the opportunity to reconnect with other people.
Think about your other relationships. When was the last time you hung out with your family, cousins, sister, brother, grandma?
12. You can enjoy a nice cool bed.
Sharing a bed isn’t very romantic when it’s 100 degrees outside and the A/C isn’t working.
13. You don’t have to worry about what your SO is doing.
Just think of all of the times you’ve panicked thinking about bae with all of those girls in bikinis and mini skirts.
14. You can slack with body hair removal.
Don’t feel like shaving today? Don’t bother. You don’t have to worry about something judging you or questioning your new grooming style.
15. You can treat yo’self.
You work hard at your summer job. When you’re single, you can use that money to splurge on yourself. There’s nothing wrong with being completely selfish.
16. You don’t have to stress about doing the long distance thing.
No summer houses, camps, cottages, schools, trailers, trips, or family vacations to worry about. Just your own schedule.
What are your summer plans? Let us know in the comments!
Follow Gurl, Pretty Please!