At this point in our lives, I think we can all agree that the term “fall fashion” is basically synonymous with the word “plaid.” Fall means muted colors, dark oranges and reds, leather jackets, ankle boots, but mainly, plaid. More specifically, cozy flannels that can be worn on their own or as layering item, plaid shoes that look preppy but cute, plaid jackets with furry collars, plaid scarves to stay warm, and plaid dresses when you want to dress up the pattern. A new clothing item is trending for 2017, though, and that’s the plaid blazer. It’s not entirely new – it’s obviously been around for a while – but it is newly popular, and I’m a big fan.
Plaid blazers definitely have a bit of a retro vibe about them, especially the oversized ones that seem to be taking over the world of bloggers and Instagram users – they remind me very distinctly of ‘80s fashion, maybe ‘90s, which isn’t surprising considering both have been making a comeback as of late. As someone who can’t resist a good plaid, I personally am very excited about being able to wear something a little different. Want to wear one without looking too preppy or like you’re wearing a Halloween costume? There are plenty of ways to achieve that. Here are some style tips on how to wear plaid blazers – I recommend a gray, slightly oversized fit, but you can obviously get whatever you like.
1. Keep it simple! A good plaid blazer can be a bit of a statement piece, so it really doesn’t need much more than a pair of jeans, a solid colored shirt, and flats or loafers.
2. Play into the preppy feel and get inspired by Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe – wear your blazer with a collared shirt, a skirt, and a pair of loafers or flats.
3. Extend the life of your summer dresses by layering them with a plaid blazer. The contrast of the plaid against something like a white lace dress is interesting.
4. Go for more of a street style vibe by wearing your blazer with a denim skirt and a lace or silk cami. Ankle boots keep this look appropriate for fall weather.
5. A plaid blazer can dress up pretty much any other clothing item. I love how it looks with a pair of loose boyfriend jeans and combat boots.
6. Do something more daring by grabbing an oversized blazer, buttoning it up, and then wearing it with over the knee boots as a dress. Yas, girl!
7. You can play into the retro look of an oversized plaid blazer by wearing it with flared jeans and an old band tee. Tying a little scarf or bandana around your neck is a cute accessory option.
8. You can make your blazer look a little more ~sexy~ by using a wide belt over it to cinch it in at the waist.
9. Gray plaid blazers are huge at the moment, but you don’t have to stick with that color – a brown plaid blazer is pretty grandpa-chic.
10. Elevate your standard t-shirt, jeans, and ankle boots combo by layering with a slightly oversized plaid blazer.
11. Imagine that same combo, but with a cute, trendy hat – perfection.
12. You can make this piece work for a night out by wearing it over a slip dress and pairing it with strappy heels.
13. If you’re enjoying an Indian summer with the rest of us in New York, or you just live in a warmer climate, you can still wear this trend – just pair it with shorts.
14. Go for something different, like this larger print blue blazer. It looks really cool with cropped jeans and funky boots.
15. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns – wear a bright plaid blazer with a striped top for something unexpected and fun.
16. Make your blazer look professional but still really cute with cropped jeans, a simple top, and super fun shoes, like these metallic loafers.
17. Dress up a graphic tee and casual sneakers simply by adding a blazer.
18. If you’re into a preppy look, then wear your blazer over a chambray shirt.
19. Do something really different by opting for a long plaid blazer – like, knee length long.
20. Add a little love to jeans and heels with your plaid blazer.