If you have ever had the misfortune of speaking to a (straight, cis) human boy at some point in your lifetime, you will already know that, when speaking to said human boy, it doesn’t take very long to learn that they don’t really know anything. Like, boys think that girls like receiving a “u up? ;)” text at 2 AM. Boys know nothing! (Not to over-generalize here, of course–I assume that boys know a lot more than I do about the, uh, finer intricacies of wearing fedoras and ruining television programs that were originally intended for little girls.)
And, because of this, it shouldn’t be too surprising to learn that guys don’t really know anything about periods–as in, like, the menstrual kind–either. To be fair, menstrual periods can be a bit of a mystery for anyone who hasn’t experienced them (the bleeding, cramping, bloating, and mood swings all carry a sense of gruesome mythos, do they not?) but guys tend to be extra obtuse when it comes to the overall concept. Don’t believe me? Check out these dumb things guys, apparently, really think are true facts about periods:
1. Guys think that period blood comes from your…bladder?
this is why education is important pic.twitter.com/ryf2dpEi7J
— B*tch Problems (@FemaleTexts) October 18, 2016
2. No, like, some guys actually think this:
3. Some guys think that it only takes one (1) tampon to deal with it:
My boyfriend really thinks I use one tampon per day when I have my period. pic.twitter.com/PYyrazm8gr
— MAKE UP GIVEAWAYS ✨ (@rosebudbones) July 7, 2017
4. And some guys are so distressed by the sight of a single menstrual product that they feel that there must be separate store to house them:
Girls I know you need pads, tampons, and toothbrushes or whatever but can you put that in a separate store so Us Bros don't have to see em?
— Matt O (@Matt_Olszewski) December 14, 2015
5. To be fair, it is a good defense mechanism:
6. Though some guys, it seems, are not intelligent enough to understand even that:
When boys don't understand periods pic.twitter.com/72FqGAiE2X
— Hannah Oliver (@Hanny_oliver35) July 23, 2015
7. And some guys think that paying for a coffee every now and then is equivalent to enduring a lifetime of purchasing menstrual supplies:
8. And that this is a sweet gesture when someone is on their period:
9. And that getting a period is a sign that one must go to the hospital:
11. Ah. Shark week:
A guy I work with genuinely thinks that all women get their period at the end of the month.& he wasn't kidding.Haai! pic.twitter.com/6YJgpAwyAm
— Martha (@___Dahlia____) September 20, 2016
14. And how could I forget about…this guy?
As a guy, I think menstrual pain is a myth
— BlakK?Beard (@goldenconceptng) July 8, 2017
15. And, uh, this. I don’t want to talk about it!
This letter actually ran in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette, a real newspaper, today pic.twitter.com/LEPYtC2sx5
— Anna Orso (@anna_orso) October 15, 2016
16. The only proper response to all of this, tbh:
Were you surprised by any of these things? Which ones? Let us know in the comments!