When I was growing up, I, like a lot of people, had acne. Like, bad acne–big, painful pustules that would crop up on my forehead and across my cheeks, seemingly immune to any drugstore or DIY remedy I tried. I felt like I was doing everything right, but my skin continued to look, uh, the same, making me think that, of all the people in the world who suffered from acne, I had it the worst out of everyone.
Contrary to what everyone had told me about how I would grow out of my skin issues one day, this acne lasted far beyond my teen years and extended into my early twenties. But, thanks to some intensive dermatological and pharmaceutical assistance, my acne is now mostly cleared up. (What can I say? Spironolactone and retinoid gels changed my life!) This, however, does not mean that I can simply pass up a good acne meme in the event that I see one–one does not suffer from acne for the better part of a decade and leave the experience unscarred, both physically and emotionally. Besides, the fact that people feel comfortable joking about their acne normalizes the experience, which, in turn, helps make it slighly more bearable for anyone who deals with acne themselves. So, check out these Tumblr posts about acne that will make you laugh. And maybe cry, a little bit! But mostly laugh:
1. When you have to have a heart to heart discussion with your skin:
2. That surprise attack acne!!!
3. Doing that THING it ALWAYS DOES:
4. Me as Mother Earth:
6. So, sure, some problems are avoidable:
7. But others VERY MUCH AREN’T:
9. Why does everyone on Riverdale have *such* good skin, anyway?
11. I’m Ben:
12. The unfortunate truth that all acne-havers face:
13. This is…causing me physical pain:
14. If water is so great, how come it doesn’t work IMMEDIATELY, huh???
15. Me, talking to a small child:
16. Who can’t relate?
18. THAT’S THE QUESTION, ISN’T IT?
Did you relate to any of these posts? Which ones? Let us know in the comments!