Fall doesn’t officially start until September 23, but it kind of feels like the long awaited season is here already. Starbucks is selling the infamous pumpkin spice latte, stores are full of Halloween candy and colorful leaf decorations, and apple festivals are taking over everyone’s weekend. And honestly, no one seems to mind autumn encroaching on the last few real weeks of summer. Fall is great for so, so many reasons, and one of the best things about it has to be the fashion.
After a hot summer for most of the country, everyone is excited to jump into cozy layers, comfy boots, and stretchy leggings. We get amped about wrapping ourselves in blanket scarves, creating an entire wardrobe out of plaid, and saying goodbye to bikinis for another few months. Fall outfits are fun, comfortable, cozy, cute, and just have this really nice aesthetic about them that no one can get enough of. Even if you know what you’re ready to wear, you might be looking for some extra fashion inspiration. Look no further! Below is a collection of adorable fall outfits that are total classics and will probably always stick around. These definitely have a preppy, boarding school vibe to them, but doesn’t that feel par for the course in autumn? Check out these fall outfits and start making up your own!
1. On chilly days, you can’t go wrong with some fall staples: a cozy scarf, a cute beanie, jeans, over the knee boats, and a long sleeve shirt.
2. A knit poncho is a great fall piece for chilly days that aren’t quite cold enough for a heavy jacket.
3. A quick fall go-to look: a striped shirt, black leggings, a denim jacket, and a knit scarf. This looks good with sneakers or ankle boots.
4. A sweater with elbow patches gives an adorable vintagey vibe to your look, and feels comfortable with jeans and a puffy vest.
5. If you want to be a little bit less casual, a denim skirt and cable knit sweater look great with black tights, booties, a light coat, and a plaid scarf.
6. Is it really fall if you don’t wear a mustard yellow sweater? This knit cardigan doubles as a light jacket on slightly chilly days.
7. Few things scream “autumn” more than a plaid shirt, leggings, and knee high boots. This has to be the perfect fall outfit.
8. A green utility jacket is ideal for fall weather – it keeps you warm (especially when layered over a sweater) but it’s not suffocating. It’s great for transitional weather.
9. Sometimes all you need is a little touch of fall perfection. A mustard yellow scarf makes an all black ensemble suddenly more interesting.
10. Want to keep it super casual but still look cute? Layer a puffy vest over your sweater and throw on a baseball cap. Rainboots are a great option for, obviously, rainy days.
11. Over the knee boots make skirts and dresses work for fall without having to add tights. And this combo of brown and black? Autumn perfection.
12. A white sweater, cozy scarf, and ripped jeans make the easiest fall outfit ever.
13. Layering a plaid shirt under a puffy vest is extremely *basic* but also cute, so who cares?
14. If you want your fall look to be a little bit more on the sexy side, opt for a sweater dress and over the knee boots. It’s super versatile.
15. A suede skirt is a great fall staple for when you want to get a little dressed up. This one looks so cute with a faux fur scarf and a flannel shirt.
16. Another easy go-to look? Leggings, a striped top, a comfy scarf, and ankle boots.
17. If you like a preppy vibe, try layering a sweater over a collared shirt. Oxford shoes look right at home with this.
18. Leather jackets are always a good choice for fall. Wear yours with a scarf, a skirt, black tights, and ankle boots.
19. Hiking boots, mainly these L.L. Bean boots (AKA Bean Boots) are another autumn staple. Wear yours with a puffy vest and sweater for the days it’s kind of muddy out there.
20. A cute fall hat makes any outfit look automatically more stylish and chic.
21. Not ready to get rid of your denim shorts? Wear them with tights, a sweater, and a hat to make them work for fall.
22. Long cardigans were basically made for fall days. I love how they look over a chambray shirt with ankle boots.
23. Another great autumn shade is a brick red. Grab a sweater in that color and wear it with jeans and cute booties.
24. Leave your chambray shirt unbuttoned and wear it with a white tee and cargo jeans.
25. A plaid dress screams fall. Wear yours with a denim jacket and tights to stay warm.
Which one of these fall outfit ideas is your favorite? Which would you wear? Share in the comments!