If you have ever thought about redecorating your bedroom or dorm, and tried to find some options online, chances are good that, at some point, you’ve come across a Tumblr bedroom. In doing so, you may have thought that it was just like any other neat, enviably-decorated bedroom you may have seen at your friend’s houses or in interior design magazines, but, though slight, there are are some differences.
Instead, Tumblr bedrooms look like this:
Most of them seem to be disciples of “hygge,” which is a Danish term that the New Yorker defines as “a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being,” as well as the classic aspirational accessibility that is apparent on pretty much any aesthetic-based Tumblr account.
Despite being undeniably cozy, Tumblr bedrooms may not always be practical, exactly (that is, unless you call an artfully rumpled bed, open cups of coffee, fuzzy white rug, and open flames all put together) but that is far beyond the point of their existence. And, besides, they sure are fun to look at. And, perhaps, a Tumblr bedroom is your calling. So, check out these super easy ways to create the perfect bedroom that will make every Tumblr user (and every, like, regular person, too) jealous AF:
1. Get a nubby knit blanket to drape over your bed:
It looks excellent with a breakfast tray, apparently.
2. Use a map of the worldn as your wallpaper:
You know, to illustrate the fact that the main backdrop of your life is a desire to travel the world.
3. Never actually tidy up your room, but only keep your essentials around so your room never looks cluttered:
It’s basically the Kondo method, right?
4. Clear EVERYTHING out of your room:
Or, at least, everything that can be seen when you take a photo.
5. Put a raw wood shelf full of tiny plants above your bed:
If you aren’t constantly surrounded by succulents, you aren’t really livin
6. If at all possible, move into a room that has exposed wood planks:
No wood planks? No problem. Just buy some and place them around your room.
7. Use fairy lights as the main centerpiece of the room:
They are, as you can see, especially nice on a rainy day.
8. Like, just put fairy lights all over your wall:
9. Or, even better, just throw some fairy lights on your bed:
Just, uh, be careful of fires. That’s too cozy!!
10. Did I mention that you should get a fuzzy blanket?
Because, uh, you should.
11. Make sure everything in your room is perfectly neutral:
When all else fails, just stick with a slate gray color scheme.
12. Cop most of your furniture from antique stores:
They don’t have to match! This will just give your room a pleasantly rustic vibe.
13. Get vintage decorations, too:
This gives your room a warm, personal feel that doesn’t cost a ton of money.
14. Use your books as a stand for a lamp:
Maybe not for a candle, like you see here? But it’s up to you! (Maybe one day, you’ll even get around to reading some of the books!)
15. Don’t forget to add your own personal flair:
Like pictures of your friends and your favorite posters. This is your room, after all–you want to enjoy it!
What do you think of these bedrooms? Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!