Now that we are firmly and officially in the back to school season (sorry!!) it’s probably time for you to start thinking about what you’re going to do for spirit week. Spirit week, if you do not go to a conventional high school that shoves its ideals down its students throats on a daily basis, is a week in which the students dress up in “silly” clothes that adheres to a certain theme for each day. The individual themed days vary from school to school, of course, but they usually have certain similarities (twin day, jersey day, pajama day, etc.) and almost always culminate in a pep rally to amp up the football team before the big Homecoming game.
Now, if I am going to be honest with you, I don’t remember all that much about my own high school spirit days except that I cared about them, like, way too much. My high school’s football team was notably and comically terrible (they would repeatedly lose to the math and science magnet school in our district, which, given that it was mainly comprised of future engineering majors at Princeton, was, uh, not exactly the most formidable of opponents), but they still carried themselves like they were Friday Night Lights cast members or something, so I, along with most other people at the school, allowed ourselves to be swept up in the hysteria. It was a small town! We didn’t have anything better to do. Because of this, over the course of my senior year, I went to my public high school wearing this:
(Harry Potter day.)
(“Best of 2010,” which obviously, for me, was Black Swan.)
Anyway. My point here is that, no matter how you feel about your school’s football team, you should still be able to have the best spirit week outfits at your school. So, check out these super cool spirit week ideas that everyone else will want to copy:
1. This is a cute (and doable) 80s outfit for Decades Day:
2. If you’re more in the 70s, you can try this costume:
3. And, of course, this Clueless costume is PERFECT for 90s day:
4. Blatant nationalism might not be the first thing on your mind right now! But, if your school has a patriotism-themed day, this is a good way to go about it:
5. If you have a “childhood day” of some sort, you have a lot of options–like, for example, this group Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costume:
6. These Winnie the Pooh costumes:
7. This Finding Nemo look:
8. This PERFECT Sandy (you know, from Spongebob) costume:
9. Do I even need to say anything about this Emperor’s New Groove costume?
10. These faux Snapchat filters are perfect for Twin Day:
11. As is this Monster’s Inc. costume:
12. Lots of schools have a “Preppy Day” as one of their theme options. If your school does too, this is as good a look as any:
13. Does your school have a Safari Day? All you need is a Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts,long socks, and a bucket hat!
14. And, finally, Senior Day. If you have some old overalls and fabric paint lying around, this is a perfect look to try out:
What do you think about these outfits? Are you excited for spirit week? Let us know in the comments!