Espadrilles are typically thought of as summer shoes, and it’s not hard to see why – with their rope soles and canvas fabric, espadrilles give off a beachy, easy-going vibe that feels right at home in the warmer weather. They’re also lighter, and usually show off most of your foot, so they aren’t made for rain or cold temperatures. Even though they’re seen as a spring and summer staple, I still personally think they’re great for fall transitional weather. Espadrilles give a little more coverage than your standard sandal without suffocating your feet, making them great for days that are warm but not hot.
So, whether you have a pair of espadrille wedges, sandals, flats, or sneakers, don’t get ready to throw them into the back of your closet just yet. They can give any outfit a more casual feel that is also surprisingly chic. Not to be annoying, but I recently went to Paris, and while I was shopping, I came upon a pair of gorgeous navy blue platform espadrille sneakers. I snatched them up because they seemed very quintessentially ~French~ to me and I am a Francophile, and every single time I wear them, I get lots of compliments. They’re comfortable and wonderful! The point of that story is that you should get a pair, especially right now, when they’ll probably be on sale everywhere. If you need more inspiration, here are some style tips on how to wear espadrilles right now and through the fall:
1. Add espadrille sneakers to shorts and a tank top – it’s still casual, but it’s a little bit more stylish than flip flops.
2. Wear espadrille sneakers with a cool jumpsuit to make it a little more casual – it’s also a super comfortable and easy outfit.
3. Lace up espadrilles look so cute with a mini skirt – and the wedges are way more practical than heels.
4. Espadrille wedges and a printed summer dress has to be the easiest, and cutest, warm weather outfit out there.
5. When it’s too warm for layers but too chilly for a tank, wear your favorite sweater with denim shorts – espadrille sneakers make this look work.
6. Lace up espadrilles give overalls a more grown up feel without being constricting.
7. Roll up your jeans to show off your cute espadrille flats. They contrast with a leather jacket in a really good way.
8. Spend your last days of August in the most summery outfit ever: espadrilles, a white dress, and a hat.
9. And you can make that look work just as well for fall by nixing the straw hat and adding a long cardigan.
10. Choose black espadrille sneakers for something a little less feminine.
11. Espadrille wedges keep jeans and a long sleeved shirt from being too warm and wintery.
12. And if it’s still pretty warm out, swap the long sleeved top for an off the shoulder one.
13. Platform espadrille sandals make baggy, high-waist jeans look more chic and feminine.
14. Slip on espadrille sandals make a midi dress like this one a lot more casual.
15. Espadrille flats are comfortable and stylish with a simple button down and jeans combo.
16. Show off your espadrille wedges with ankle-length jeans. A blousy white top helps to give off a beachy vibe.
17. Flared jeans also do the trick – and wearing a cozy sweater instead of a loose top is a great way to make this look work for fall weather.
18. Get super trendy with a summery gingham dress and espadrille flats.
19. Score a pair of metallic espadrilles for something more unique.
20. Or opt for patterned espadrilles – they’re fun and interesting.
Which one of these outfit ideas is your favorite? What did we forget to add? Share in the comments.