As I have discussed more than a few times on this site, I really love Harry Potter. I understand that this does not make me unique (everyone, nearly literally, is a fan of Harry Potter in some way or another). But I can’t help it! I love it! I’m a Gryffindor, which means that I follow my instincts, no matter how basic they may be! I love the books, I love the fan art, I love the fan-created parody musicals about it. I love it all! One thing I never got into? Harry Potter fan fiction.
Despite the fact that all of my characteristics would likely lead one to believe that, not only do I read fan fiction, I write it, argue with my friends about it, and spend most of my time curating multiple Tumblr accounts dedicated to it, fan fiction has never really “done it” for me. Like, if I am in a Harry Potter mood, I will just re-read the books or scroll through J.K. Rowling’s Twitter account until I am so angry with her that I simply do not even want to think about Harry Potter anymore.
Still, though I am not that into fan fiction personally, even I have to admit that there is an obvious appeal in how adaptable it is. It gives one the power to imagine the characters of your favorite book or movie or TV show in a world that seems just slightly more accessible and relatable to the average reader than it might in its canon form. This is why I have come to love the mini “alternate Harry Potter universe” posts that pop up on Tumblr from time to time. These aren’t anything new, obviously (I remember seeing them when the first Deathly Hallows movie came out in 2010) but, in many ways, their power has been an enduring one. So, check out these alternate universe Harry Potter storylines that will totally blow your mind:
1. Let’s start this off with some, ahem, “Happy Potter:”
2. This checks out, tbh:
3. So does this in the LITERAL WORST WAY WTF:
4. What a *clears throat* dream daddy, right?
5. Well. This would have solved, like, everything. But it’s fine!!!
6. More positive Fred and George representation, please!!!
7. Like this! Jake and Logan WHO????
8. MAKES YOU THINK:
9. Can’t you, like, hear his voice?
10. Which is probably why there are…so many of them:
11. Maybe Gordon Ramsay really was a Hogwarts professor? Who knows. He should have been!
12. Anyway, the REAL idiot sandwich is EVERYONE in Dumbledore’s Army for failing to come up with this perfect plan:
14. This…moves me, spiritually:
15. Okay I’m crying! Bye!!
What do you think of these AUs? Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!