One of the best things about moving into a dorm room for college is the opportunity to decorate it. A dorm room, even one that is shared with two, three, or six other people, is a symbol of independence. You can put up that poster your parents never let you have on your childhood bedroom wall, you can use whatever colors you want without asking for their permission, and you truly make the small space your own without worrying about their input. The possibilities seem endless, and there are so many things you’ll want to include that you definitely won’t have room for them all – but one thing that should make the cut? A DIY photo collage.
A photo collage is more than just a decoration – it’s a fun way to keep your favorite memories alive, to show off your hometown best friends and family, and to present your life the way you want to do so. There are so many more ways to display your favorite photos than just putting them in frames, or hanging them haphazardly. Why not get creative with the process and make the collage a focal point or statement piece? It’s cute and Instagram friendly! And if you need some inspiration, look no further – the below photo collage ideas are perfect for any dorm room. Or, of course, your bedroom at home. These aren’t just for college students!
1. Go crazy and fill every inch of your wall with photos. Or, you know, just your side of the wall.
2. “Frame” your photos with string lights. It’s a pretty way to draw attention to your collage.
3. Worried about your photos sticking to the walls? Create collages inside of giant frames, then hang them on the wall. This makes it really easy to move your collages when necessary.
4. Hang your photos from string lights with clothespins. It’s a pretty, magical look.
5. If fairy lights aren’t your thing, just hang your photos from pieces of string using clothespins. It’s just a fun look that’s a little different from sticking them on the wall.
6. Take advantage of awkward empty space in the room – this small piece of wall between two doors can’t do much, so it’s a great spot for all your photos.
7. Add a fun quote that describes how you feel about your photos and put it in the middle.
8. Arrange your photos so that they act as almost a border around your room. It’s really cute to add string lights too.
9. Use some of your photos to create letters and words for a fun presentation.
10. Arrange your photos on your wall so that they sit in a heart shape.
11. Set up your photos on the wall so that they surround your bulletin board – that way all of your important information is one place.
12. Create a cardboard cut-out of your initials, then decorate it with photos.
13. Take a plain frame, then use twine and clothespins to hang your photos for a boho look that can easily be moved around.
14. Keep it simple and just stick your photos on the wall, leaving equal distance between them all.
15. If you’re a big fan of Friends, then definitely add this above your collage:
16. Create “frames” on the wall using Washi tape or something similar.
17. Want to keep it simple? String only a few favorite photos, then hang them over your desk or bed.
18. Hang your photos from string lights, then add fun decorations, like cards and sparkly tinsel, for some color.
19. Avoid the wall altogether and hang your photos on your desk.
20. Use the blank space on the back of your door to decorate.
Which one of these photo collage ideas is your favorite? How do you display your pictures? Share in the comments!