Like most people, I am not super into having a period. I mean, sure, I am glad that it exists, and I am always happy on the day in which my period arrives, for it means I am not with child, but the act of having a period? No thanks!! Still, as much as I, personally, am not that into periods, I am even more repulsed by period-shaming. This is why, in a rather bizarre string of logic and emotions, I am pretty into period nail art.
Oh, what’s that? You don’t know what period nail art is? That’s okay! Most people don’t, probably–earlier this month, Annalies Hofmeyr, an artist based out of Canada, posted a photo of her own period nail art, wondering why the concept never caught on. Since then, various online publications have been posting photos of other peoples’ period nail art (of which there is a surprisingly hefty amount), and you know what? I’m into it. Some of them are unmistakably menstrual-themed nails (tampon strings and all) while others take more of a, ahem, refined approach and allude to the act of menstruating rather than being explicit about it. Either way, the concept is pretty cool. So, check out these badass period manicures you need to see right now:
2. Here’s an incredibly subtle interpretation:
3. Let ’em know!!!
5. Perhaps you just want a hint of blood?
6. A slightly more “goth” look?
8. Many of these, as you may have already guessed, can be achieved through Halloween nail tutorials:
9. You’ll know they’re an homage to your menstrual cycle, however:
10. Though, of course, there are some that truly couldn’t be anything other than period nails:
12. Anyway. Are you going to try it?
What do you think of these manicures? Would you ever get one? Let us know in the comments!