There are few anxieties in this world that are greater than that of waiting for your college dorm room assignment. Chances are good that, if you’re heading to college in the fall, you’ve spent a lot of the summer leading up to it researching the different dorms on campus, what they entail, and what, exactly, you can bring to them. And, perhaps, after all of this, you have been assigned a single.
Singles are mainly cool because, you know–no roommate. If you’re into alone time, uninterrupted studying, and not having to worry about accidentally walking in on your roommate while they’re in the midst of a hookup (which is fairly likely in the college roommate experience), this is great. The not-so-great part of having a single? The size. I didn’t have a single in college, but one of my good friends did, and I can tell you that, when you walk in on move-in day, chances are good that you will feel…underwhelmed. You don’t have to, though! There are actually a ton of ways that you can decorate a single room to make it look super cute–and, potentially, even bigger. Check ’em out here:
1. You might already know this. But you’ll save a LOT of space by lofting your bed:
2. You can put a futon underneath if you know you’ll have friends visiting:
3. It can also be a handy place to store your clothes:
4. Nervous about lofting all the way? Get risers so your bed still allows for some storage space, but you’re not quite as high up as you’d be if it was lofted:
5. If you have a window, put your bed right next to it to make your room have a nice flow of light:
6. It’s also worth investing in some window treatments:
7. And a fun carpet, which can make the room seem larger:
8. Your closet will…not be large. Keep it organized!
9. You also need to utilize your wall space–do so by trying this cool bucket hanger:
10. And make command hooks your best friend:
11. Try to decorate your room with lighter colors–this will make the room appear larger:
12. You won’t want random wires hanging around. You can try and control them with this cute ribbon box:
13. And this super easy clip organizer:
14. Now, all you need to do is keep it clean. Good luck!
Do you have a single this year? Do you have any decorating tips? Let us know in the comments!