If you are the kind of person who constantly scans your surroundings for things that may potentially kill you, well, you might want to skip this post. Rebecca Burger, a popular 33-year-old lifestyle and fitness blogger based out of France, died earlier this week after a canister of whipped cream exploded in her kitchen.
This incident, which her family is calling a “domestic accident,” occurred because the whipped cream canister (which is believed to be a model that has been recalled) exploded. Part of the canister hit Burger in the chest, sending her into cardiac arrest. One of Burger’s family members (or someone else who has control of her Instagram now) posted a photo of the canister. As previously mentioned, this whipped cream canister model, which seems to be popular in coffee shops, has been recalled, but many of them could still be in circulation.
Voici un exemple de siphon à chantilly qui a explosé et percuté le thorax de Rebecca, entraînant son décès. Précision : le siphon qui a engendré sa mort quant à lui été mis sous scellé. N'utilisez pas ce genre d'ustensile chez vous ! Plusieurs dizaines de milliers d'appareils défectueux sont encore en circulation.
The caption here reads, “Here’s an example of the cartridge/siphon for whipped cream that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, killing her. Take note: the cartridge that caused her death was sealed. Do not use this type of device in your home! Tens of thousands of these appliances are still in circulation.” French authorities are now investigating the details surrounding Burger’s death to see who is at fault for the incident–and, by the looks of it, it’s probably the whipped cream canister’s manufacturer. According to BBC, these whipped cream canisters have caused accidents in the past, due to faulty connecters within the gas capsules on the canister, such as broken ribs, broken teeth, and, in one case, the loss of an eye.
Long story short? Hopefully, the needless tragedy of Burger’s death will bring about some more regulations on this particular product. And, in the meantime, don’t buy this type of whipped cream canister.
Were you a fan of Rebecca Burger? How does this accident make you feel? Let us know in the comments!