Summer is here! Well, not technically, but it’s close enough. Besides, everyone is well into the summer vibes after Memorial Day. The swimsuits are out, the jean shorts are starting to be worn on a daily basis, and we’re beginning to think about ways we can update our beauty looks for the warm weather.
If you’re already sporting braids or locs, you might be tempted to just leave your hair down. However, a few hot days might make you want to get your tresses off your neck. And eventually you’ll probably want some ways you can switch up your braids without completely taking them out.
Don’t worry, because I’ve got you covered. Take a gander at 18 pretty (and easy!) ways you can style your braids and locs this summer.
1. A high bun always looks brilliant, but a pompadour in the front adds some retro fun. Bonus: It’s still super easy to create.
2. Add a vintage vibe to your summer look with this loc pompadour. Note the way her tresses hang just over one eye. Hot stuff.
3. Remember low buns? Instead of piling your braids into a high one, gather them at the nape of your neck and secure with an elastic.
4. There is literally no bad angle with this ‘do. Scoop your locs to one side then twist individual sections around your face. If you have two-tone hair, the different colors will add even more dimension to the look.
5. Those bangs though. Add a new element to your high bun with some short twists around your face.
6. It’s all about that side sweep with this updo. Choose your favorite side (I know you have one) and sweep your locs across your face to enhance it.
7. Everything about this updo slays from the beads to the way the braids go diagonally across her head. Get inspired.
8. Got a mix of thick and thin braids? Show off the different textures in a cone-shaped bun stacked high on yo’ head.
9. Let’s just stop for a second and admire the flow of this hairstyle thanks to all the lines from the braids. The updo cleverly enhances that.
10. This might not get your hair off your hot neck, but when your tresses look this good, you will not be complaining. Trust.
11. So simple, but so pretty. Take those twists, braid them, then sweep them across your face. Just make sure that you can still see!
12. There’s no need to make things overly complicated. For longer locs and braids, simply scoop them over one shoulder and secure with an elastic. Et voila, a sweet low ponytail.
13. I’ll let you in on a little secret: This updo uses pipe cleaners to help it get its shape. Who would have thought that a craft box staple could create such a cute hairstyle, eh?
14. This is such an easy but cute hack. You will wonder why you didn’t think of it sooner. If your hair is on the longer side, simply twist up the ends and pin them in place at the nape of your neck.
15. It’s all about the angles of this hairstyle. The braids are going to the side and so is the low bun.
16. Got shorter twists? You can still fashion them into a bun. Gather them at the back of your head then shape them.
17. Take those beautiful box braids of yours and stack them onto your head in a thick, high bun. It’s a go-to summer hairstyle for a reason.
18. Braid those braids, girl. It might sound like it shouldn’t work, but it makes your hair look super thick. Not to mention that it creates a gorgeous updo.
What hairstyles do you want to try out? Let us know in the comments!
Follow Gurl, Pretty Please!