Remember when crop tops resurfaced from the ’90s, leaving bare midriffs in their wake and causing many people to clutch their pearls and gasp at the horror of belly buttons? Well, get ready for round two, because just as crop tops have started to feel more normal and less risque, bralette tops are entering the picture. Bralette tops are exactly what they sound like – either just wearing a bralette as a shirt (which, by the way, is a piece of lingerie), or wearing a crop top so small that it just completely resembles a bra. Bra tops are a very, very big trend for summer 2017, as they were spotted all over the runways. And considering the popularity of bralettes in general, it’s not surprising that this trend will become a wearable one.
This “underwear as outerwear” trend has felt inevitable to me since crop tops started shrinking and slip dresses became a *thing* again. At this point, it only makes sense that bralettes are being worn as actual shirts. I know this feels like a limiting trend – bralettes are usually great for girls with smaller chests, not so comfortable for busty chicks – but it doesn’t have to be. There are plenty of ways to wear these that anyone can pull off. And, on top of that, lots of companies are making bralettes for girls with bigger boobs now, so you might just need to find the right brand. Ready to get in on this? Here are some style tips on how to wear bralette tops this summer. Just, uh, don’t wear them to school. Or around your dad.
1. You can keep things simple by wearing them like a regular crop top – with high waist jeans and a long jacket or cardigan over them. This helps you feel a little more covered up if you’re weary about showing that much skin.
2. Or, if you want to ease your way into things, start with a loose, breezy top or dress that shows off the bralette purposely.
3. If this trend is kind of making you break out in hives because it’s so revealing, but you’re still intrigued, wear a bralette under a sheer shirt.
4. Or layer it over a white tee for a very ’90s inspired outfit.
5. A bralette with a maxi skirt is an easy summer outfit that can be worn for a lot of different occasions. Go for a sheer maxi skirt like this one for major sex appeal.
6. Go a little bit more fancy by wearing a bralette top with a high-waist full skirt, whether it’s shorter or a midi length. Add heels and some bold lipstick, and you’ve got a formal look!
7. Or keep things comfy by wearing your bralette with loose, printed pants. This is an easy, casual summer outfit with a breezy vibe.
8. Make even the laciest bralette look more formal with a pair of high waist trousers, especially a pair with a paper bag waist like these.
9. A bralette with a full maxi skirt can also be an easy formal look.
10. Stay casual and comfortable in a bralette, high-waisted shorts, and a knit cardigan. It will probably become your go-to summer outfit.
11. A bralette with a high waist silk skirt and heels is super fancy, but adding a denim jacket makes it a little more casual and offers a little more coverage.
12. Go for some music festival vibes with a bralette, high waist shorts, and some metal jewelry.
13. This matchy-matchy look (wearing a bralette the same color/fabric as the bottom half) is super popular and looks awesome for a night out.
14. Opt for some vacation vibes with loose culottes, sandals with a heel, and a cute cut-out bralette (or swimsuit. Same thing!).
15. Go for an almost professional vibe by wearing your bralette under a pantsuit… just, uh, forget the shirt. With flat sandals, this look becomes a little more versatile.
16. Wear your bralette with a high waist skater skirt and a light kimono for an outfit perfect for those hot days when you still want to look good.
17. A lacy bralette with high-waist jeans and an open button up is an easy look that feels really relaxed, but still trendy.
18. Wear your bralette with leggings, sneakers, and a denim jacket for a super casual and comfortable outfit.
19. A lacy bralette with a tight midi skirt and heels is made for a sexy night out.
20. Pair your bralette with ripped jeans, and let your midriff hang out. Who cares!
Which one of these outfits is your favorite? How would you wear a bralette? Share in the comments!