Is it just me, or is literally everyone wearing white button down shirts all the time? Of course, a white button down is and probably always will be a classic closet staple, but I definitely feel like I’ve noticed many more of them than usual lately. White button downs are usually saved for business casual outfits, a preppy spring/summer look, layering, or something slightly more formal. Today, though, they’re embellished, embroidered, sporting statement sleeves or serious ruffles – or just looking chic and trendy on their own. They’re having a Moment, if you will, and I’m all about it.
Wearing a white button down shirt does not require rocket science or even a lot of fashion know-how. But wearing a white button down in a way that isn’t boring and doesn’t look like everyone else’s requires a little bit more of a sense of style. Or, you know, just a little inspiration to get you going. There are a lot of fun ways to rock this basic, and you should know about all of them. After all, even when they aren’t having a fashion Moment, they’ll still be something you can rely on no matter what. Here are some tips on how to wear white button down shirts this spring and summer:
1. You can, of course, keep it simple. Jeans and flats with a loosely tucked in white button down is a classic and easy outfit that will work for almost any situation.
2. You can dress up your shirt in a more fun way by pairing it with a bright mini skirt like this one. With flat sandals, this is a casual but adorable outfit, perfect for a breezy summer day.
3. Add a super trendy and statement making accessory, like a bold corset belt, to make your shirt more interesting.
4. Spice things up by wearing your button down backwards. This works best with a shirt that has some sort of embellishment on the back, but it would work for a plain white shirt too.
5. Another way to wear it backwards is to keep it unbuttoned, then tie it at the bottom. Voila – your white button down is now super sexy in an unexpected way.
6. Make loose, high waist jeans (like mom jeans) look a little more fancy by tucking in a white button down. You can also change up the look by layering it over a tank and leaving a few buttons undone.
7. Speaking of layering, try putting your white button down under a dress. Wearing it underneath a strapless dress is unique and changes up the look of both items.
8. Another super easy outfit is wearing your white button down with a mini skirt – but instead of tucking in, try tying it right in the middle.
9. Go for a polished yet casual vibe by tucking your white shirt into skinny jeans, then adding a belt and flats. It’s comfortable, but still looks like you put effort into your look.
10. Go for the ultimate summer look by wearing a white button down with a floral skirt. You can’t go wrong with the combination!
11. A white button down can quickly make ripped denim and sneakers look a little more fashionable and dressed up, even if it isn’t tucked in.
12. Denim skirts like these are making a comeback. Wear yours with a breezy and loose white button down, a crossbody bag, and a hat.
13. Show off your quirky side by buttoning your shirt in a weird way, like the below example:
14. Layer it under a tank dress, and add ankle boots for an edgier feel.
15. Make a white button down a little more ~sexier~ by leaving it unbuttoned over a lace tank top or bralette. Also: these pants are amazing.
16. Opt for a white button down that’s embroidered, or do the embroidery yourself – it’s a big trend right now and looks so cool with a white background.
17. Make a dress look like a skirt by wearing it under your white button down, then tying the shirt right at your waist.
18. Front tuck a white shirt into jeans, then add colorful heels and some fancy accessories for a chic look that’s perfect for a night out.
19. You can’t go wrong with jeans, loafers, and a hat – it’s a classic look that will never go out of style.
20. A white shirt looks great with another big spring trend – loose trousers, or paper bag waist pants.
Which outfit is your favorite? How would you wear a white button down? Share in the comments!