Looking unique at prom isn’t as easy as it might seem. Most of the dresses, especially the affordable ones that are available in a range of sizes, look similar to each other. Hairstyles tend to fall under the current trends of the moment, meaning everyone is either trying a similar updo or braid, or leaving their hair down. Makeup isn’t usually obvious enough to really make you stand out unless you’re doing something very obvious. And honestly, when it comes down to it, it can be tough to pick a dress that is really different from everyone else, because many of us like approval (which is fine to admit!). So, if you want something a little different, your best bet is getting a unique accessory, and few things are more unique than something you make yourself.
I’m not talking about anything really elaborate, like making your own shoes or shawl or anything like that. I’m referring to easier DIY projects that will allow you to get a little more creative with your look – things like corsages, hair accessories, and clutches. You can also use some DIY projects to spruce up a pair of boring high heels or make a boutonniere for your date, if you have one. Use the below DIY prom accessory tutorials to spark inspiration, or just copy them completely – that’s what they’re there for, after all!
1. Make a boutonniere instead of buying one using an earthy arrangement like this one, or really anything you want.
2. Use flowers and a snap bracelet to make the most comfortable wearable floral arrangement ever.
3. If you want to do a trendy throwback type of vibe, wear a choker – but don’t spend money on one, because they’re super easy to make. Here’s a versatile tutorial:
4. Clutches are great for fancy nights out, but if you prefer something with a strap, here’s how to make that:
5. Of course, you can always go traditional with a regular clutch – this one uses old placemats in the coolest way.
6. Want a more relaxed, boho vibe? Make your own ethereal flower crown.
7. Take a boring pair of heels and make them more exciting with some glitter. These are eye-catching without being over the top.
8. If a flower crown is a little much but you still like the look, just make “hair flower” accessories like these:
9. Use any kind of jewel you want to create the prettiest heels ever.
10. A simple hair accessory, like jeweled bobby pins, can make your hairstyle look so great, and they’re super easy to make.
11. If real flowers make your allergies freak out, get the look of a corsage or boutonniere anyway with these beautiful paper flowers.
12. Little pearls and gold wire will transform a boring bobby pin into an elegant hair accessory.
13. Use greenery to create a beautiful boutonniere that’s a little bit different.
14. Mix two random fabrics together to form a glittery sequin clutch perfect for a big night out.
15. Go for a super dreamy hairstyle with these DIY star bobby pins.
16. Who needs a flower boutonniere when you can have a succulent one?
Which one of these prom DIY projects are you going to try? What did we forget to add? Share in the comments.