Whenever I think of prom hairstyles, I think of something traditional: either a sleek updo or perfectly spiraled curls, either way, something much fancier than the hairstyle one would normally wear to class. This is the standard when you’re wearing an expensive dress, a painful pair of heels, and a lot of makeup, but honestly? It’s not my favorite. I don’t love sturdy updos or curls that are so sprayed in place they feel like they’ll never move again. Of course, that doesn’t mean those styles don’t look beautiful on so many of you – they do! – it’s just not my personal style. I like something a little more relaxed, slightly more casual, and very wispy – something more ~boho~ if you will.
Maybe you feel the same way, and you’re looking for a hairstyle that’s nicer than what you would rock on an every day basis, but also isn’t too overdone. Maybe you want a more flowy hairstyle to contrast against a very fancy dress, or maybe your dress is on the more casual side. Either way, a boho style look might be perfect for you. When I think of boho hair, I typically think of braids, loose updos that don’t feel tight in any way, maybe some flowers or hair accessories – basically something that would look good at a beach wedding or in a catered hall, you know? No? Okay, well if you don’t or if you’re intrigued, check out these boho prom hairstyle tutorials. I guarantee you’ll fall for at least one of them:
1. If you want to do some sort of updo, try this loose braided option. It’s so pretty and it’s relaxed but still glamorous.
2. If you have long hair, this simple half up look is great for an elegant style that isn’t too structured.
3. If you don’t want to do much to your hair, you can always opt for some loose, bohemian waves.
4. A thin headband is all you need to create a cool rolled updo – add some small flowers to make this a little more dressed up.
5. Try this messy bun for something very relaxed but still fancy looking.
6. If you have a lot of hair, this triple braided bun is a very cool look. Make it more boho by adding flowers.
7. Prefer to keep your hair down? This side wrap braid is the perfect way to do that.
8. A half up braid that looks like a flower is beautiful with loose curls.
9. Keep your braid loose with this side-swept Dutch braid look that is absolutely gorgeous.
10. If you want to stay more on the casual side, this half up twisted fishtail is simple, fast, and will still look awesome with a dress.
11. Instead of adding flowers, you can always add a piece of jewelry or a hair accessory to any braid or twist.
12. A loose braid into a low bun is the ideal boho updo.
13. A waterfall braid is a great way to leave your hair down and loose while still giving it some direction.
14. Add a small braid wrapped around a twist to make any half-up look more interesting.
15. Put a boho spin on an elegant classic by doing a messy French twist.
16. Add tiny flowers to a French braid for a super pretty style everyone will want to photograph.
Which one of these boho prom hairstyles would you try on your own hair? How are you going to do your prom hair? Share in the comments!