Organizing small beauty products in a neat way can be pretty difficult – especially if you aren’t a naturally tidy person. I think this is especially true when it comes to nail polish. You can’t just put it anywhere since the bottles should ideally be kept upright in a relatively cool spot (so, not in the sunlight or at the bottom of a bin). You also need to be able to grab it easily, you know, without managing to knock down every other bottle you own, causing a mini beauty avalanche.
I have a lot of nail polish – like, way too much nail polish for any normal person to own – so I really struggle with this. I purchased a few plastic nail polish holders from Amazon, but I filled them up, and then didn’t feel like dropping money on more. They didn’t hold as much as I wanted them to hold, and certain sized bottles didn’t fit at all. On top of that, I still had to find a place for them in my room, and since they’re bulky, it’s been annoying AF.
Luckily, there are lots of genius nail polish storage ideas available on the Internet. You just need to get a little bit crafty, and learn how to upcycle other items to make them perfect for your bottles. I am for sure going to try one of these over the next few weeks, since my own collection is currently cluttered in a pile in a few old shoeboxes. It’s not ideal! If you want to be more neat with your own stuff, here are some clever ways to organize nail polish that you definitely need to try ASAP:
1. Don’t have a lot of nail polish? Lay it in a drawer with some other small accessories.
2. Get handy and make your own nail polish rack with room for polishes of all shapes and sizes, as well as nail accessories.
3. A glass case like this is great for showing off your nail polish in a really pretty way.
4. If you don’t care about an aesthetically pleasing solution and just want a place to keep your huge collection, repurpose an over-the-door shoe holder like this one.
5. Cake or cupcake platters are one of the prettiest ways to show off your nail polish collection on top of your vanity, and you can find them for super cheap.
6. Planning on storing your polish upright in a draw? That’s fine, it’s just that you’ll have trouble picking the color you want when they’re crammed in there. To avoid making a huge mess, use the polish to paint a dot of the color on the tops.
7. One inexpensive DIY solution is to get these little plastic bins at a dollar store, then glue or stick them onto the inside of a cabinet.
8. Use a cool photo frame as a shelf by gluing in pieces of wood that fit. This is a really pretty and cool way to display your polish.
9. If you have the room, get a bunch of lazy Susans (or just one big one), and fill them with polish. They make it easy to find what you’re looking for since they spin.
10. Get an inexpensive cookie jar and use it hold your polish if you don’t have a lot of it.
11. Make your own cardboard box to hold all of your bottles upright.
12. Glass apothecary jars or vases make nail polish storage insanely chic.
13. Make your own magnet board to hold up the polish so you can see the bottles easily. This makes me a little nervous, because if they fall, you’re kind of screwed, but… it does look cool.
14. Make a list or book of swatches so that you never have trouble finding what you want.
15. Use a standing spice rack to hold the bottles.
16. Or use a spice rack that hangs on the wall. They typically have shelves with ledges that are perfect for storing little bottles like these.
17. If you have too much nail polish for just one rack, stack them one over the other so they almost look like one giant rack.
18. Clear storage cubes like these are also great for holding your bottles.
19. These Ikea picture ledges are actually perfect for nail polish storage.
20. Display your favorites on a pretty tray on your vanity.
21. Keep it simple by storing a small collection in mason jars.
22. Turn an old shoe box into nail polish storage:
Which one of these nail polish organization tips are you going to try? How do you keep your nail polish neat? Tell us in the comments!