As someone who always forgets Mother’s Day until the day before, I have to admit that it can be hard to find a gift last minute. It can also be hard to find a gift that costs approximately $0.00. If you’re anything like me, you’re both lazy and semi-broke. It’s okay! Being a teen is expensive and sometimes it’s hard to afford gifts for the people you love, even if it’s your mom. I know she will probably say something like “don’t spend your money on me!” or “don’t worry about gifts this year!” but, let’s be honest, you have to celebrate your mom, no matter what your bank account looks like.
Even though it can be hard to get something for your mom for free, it’s not impossible! There are some easy, 100 percent free ways to surprise your mom for Mother’s Day this year. After all, she deserves the best, and I know you wish you could spend $10,000 on her, but who really has that money right now? Definitely not you, who has to save money for all of those cool handy Amazon products that are all the rage these days. So, if you want to make your mom happy without having to spend a cent, take a look at these unique things to give your mom for Mother’s Day that she will ACTUALLY like.
1. Ask her to watch a movie you used to watch together as a kid. It will be fun to go back to something you both enjoyed when you were younger.
2. Make a playlist of her favorite songs. Let’s be real, a lot of moms don’t know how to use Apple Music or Spotify, and helping them make a playlist of music they will like it super thoughtful.
3. Do an activity with her that SHE likes to do. My mom likes to knit, so when I was in high school, I would knit with her. It’s a small thing, but she will really enjoy it. If your mom is a gardener, ask to help her garden. She’ll be grateful.
4. Post A TBT on Facebook. I’m not sure why, but moms LOVE throwback Facebook posts. Tag her in a cute photo of you two! Bonus points if you get a ton of likes.
5. Do your nails together. You probably won’t want to spend $$$ on a manicure, so do it yourselves!
6. Make a DIY facemask to do with your mom. We have so many ideas here.
7. Ask your mom for advice. Moms LOVE giving advice, mostly when you don’t ask for it, but this time, you should ask her. She will love to help you out.
8. Look at baby pictures and ask her for stories. Your mom will love talking about you as a baby. Warning: she might cry, though.
9. Cook a meal together. Sure, you could just make her breakfast in bed, but she will probably have a lot more fun making it with you. She will love teaching you how to make things!
10. Teach her how to do something you like to do. It will be a bonding experience! If you are really into your bullet journal, help her start her own or give her some tips. It will give you time talk about things you like. Moms love when you open up to them!
11. Let her nap. Seriously. Moms love naps.
12. Compliment her. This is, like, super basic, but it’s the least you can do for you mom! Tell her she looks nice or that you like how her hair looks. A little compliment goes a LONG way.
13. Call her! If you can’t be with your mom on mother’s day (maybe you’re away at school) be sure to call your mom. Don’t just text her! Better yet, ask her to videochat for a few minutes.
14. Watch her favorite TV show with her. It might be boring to you, but it will mean the world to her.
What are you going to give your mom this year? Tell us in the comments!