When you think of khaki pants, you might think of some very specific things: a super preppy outfit/lifestyle, or maybe the late ’90s/early 2000s. Khakis can either seem very conservative and old school (think button downs and Sperry’s) or they can have a serious throwback vibe (for some reason, they always make me think of Old Navy. I have no idea why). If you’re still into khakis, or you’ve been waiting for a chance to buy a pair, now is your time. The spring and summer 2017 fashion shows brought about a lot of unexpected trends, including – you guessed it – khakis. The most common way to incorporate this into your outfit? Khaki pants.
Now, these light colored pants might seem simple to wear, but they aren’t always that easy! They can sometimes give off a vibe you’re not into, and they don’t match with everything out there. I mean, of course you should wear your khakis however you want, but some guidance doesn’t hurt. There are lots of outfit ideas out there, whether you don’t mind the preppy look and maybe even love it, or you want something a little bit more unique and relaxed. Here are some style tips on how to wear khaki pants, because honestly? It’s nice to take a break from jeans and leggings sometimes.
1. Go for a classic – khaki pants with a chambray top. Cropped khakis make this look a little more laid back.
2. If you’re still layering up for chilly weather, try pairing a plaid shirt under a sweater. Doing so keeps the plaid and khaki combo from looking too preppy, and adding a hat, cuffed bottoms, and ankle boots makes everything a little more boho.
3. Khakis are obviously great for professional outfits, like if you work in an office. Pair khaki trousers with a white tank, a fitted blazer, and pumps for a classic look that works.
4. You can also pair that same look with flats for something a little bit less dressed up.
5. To go for a more unique look, pair your khaki pants with something unexpected, like a leather jacket.
6. Khakis can look very drab. Add a colorful piece, like this turquoise cardigan, to brighten things up.
7. Cuffed up, loose khaki linen pants with a loose button down and flat sandals makes for the perfect boho outfit for hot days where you still want to look put together.
8. Make khaki trousers look more relaxed with a belt and a white tee tucked in.
9. Opt for a different fit, like loose khaki culottes.
10. You can even make khaki pants ~sexy.~ Choose high waist, fitted khakis and wear them with a crop top and heels.
11. A leather tank and a pair of loose khakis is unexpected, but weirdly, it works.
12. Khaki pants go perfectly with a shade or army green, like this chic tank.
13. If you’re all about the preppy vibe, wear your khakis with a striped button down and cute cardigan. Oxford shoes keep this comfortable.
14. Something very trendy, like an off the shoulder top, makes khaki cargo pants look seriously modern.
15. Keep things simple with a white sweater and animal print flats. Patterned shoes keep these neutral shades, which look great together, from getting boring.
16. Tuck a black tank into high waist khaki trousers, then add strappy heels and cool accessories for the perfect summer outfit.
17. Lace up flats give khaki pants some trendy, feminine flair.
18. Pair your khakis with a bright shade that stands out, like red.
19. Keep things casual with a denim jacket and a pair of sneakers
20. Leopard print and khaki pants go weirdly well together.
Which one of these outfits is your favorite? How do you wear khakis? Share in the comments!