Lip gloss is back. But, of course, you already knew that. Lip gloss has technically been “back” for a while now–a bunch of publications have been writing about it for years now–but it became official yesterday when makeup brand Glossier announced that they would be adding a lip gloss to their permanent collection.
Unfortunately, I must confess that I already own the Glossier lip gloss, because, in a fugue state, I accidentally bought the brand’s “Black Tie” holiday set that came out last November. It cost $50 and contained a limited edition version of the gloss, plus highlighter, eyeliner, nail polish, and, the kicker, a couple of inches of black ribbon that you could easily get at a crafting store for about a dollar to “wear as you wish.” It’s embarrassing! But you know what? The gloss is great, and ever since I got it, I’ve been on a veritable gloss kick. (You can put it on your eyes, too, you know.)
But even if you are mostly down to clown with lip gloss, you might not be quite sure how to integrate it into your normal makeup routine. Now worries! You, like the acclaimed musical artist Lil Mama before you, may get your lips as popping as they possibly can. So, check out these easy ways to start wearing lip gloss again:
1. Don’t feel like shelling out for a new tube of gloss? Just make your own–you probably have a lot of the ingredients already:
2. You can also DIY your own lip stain, which will come out with a nice, glossy sheen:
3. If you’re afraid of looking too over-the-top, put on a nude lip pencil, then put on a layer of clear gloss:
4. You can intensify the look based on how much gloss you put on:
5. You can also try lip oil–it’s not as sticky as gloss tends to be, but still adds shine and a nice pop of color:
6. If you want fuller-looking lips, gloss is a good way to make that happen:
7. You can also create an ombre effect with gloss by putting a stain on the center of the lips and putting a layer of lip gloss over it to give it a “bleeding” look:
8. If you’re into simplicity, look for a a gloss that has color–this way, you can stick it in your bag and not have to worry about dealing with a ton of products throughout the day:
9. Want a “I-just-woke-up-like-this-I’m-not-wearing-any-makeup-why-do-you-ask-haha” look? Blush + gloss is a great way to make that happen:
10. Or, if you’re into dramatics, just go ahead and match your gloss with your eye makeup:
11. Maybe you’re more into a holographic lip?
12. Of course, don’t be afraid to put some gloss on your lids, too–you can buy special gloss for your lids if you don’t feel like putting straight-up lip gloss on your eyes:
13. Lip gloss doesn’t always have to translate to “cute”–this vampy look, made complete with gloss, proves it:
14. As does this one:
15. Basically, if you love highlighter, you should seriously consider adding some lip gloss into your makeup look:
How do you feel about lip gloss? Do you think you’re going to start wearing it again? Let us know in the comments!