Button down shirts always have and always will be a classic wardrobe staple, and for good reason: they’re versatile, they look nice on everyone, and they can be worn in basically any season depending on how you style them. Every girl should own at least one button down shirt that they love, ideally something that fits well, feels light, and matches with a lot of other different colors. These are such a staple, in fact, that many of us stock up on them so that we end up having so many, we don’t know what to do with them (*raises hand*). If that’s your issue, or you’re just bored of the ones you own, it’s time to do some serious updates. You can transform your button down shirts with some simple DIY projects that are fun to play around with.
Whether you can sew and want to really switch it up, or if you’re just looking for a different way to style your top, this post has you covered. There are tips on how to make just a few tiny changes that can give you a totally unique look, and there are some tutorials that involve a little bit more work but are worth it in the end. Basically, there’s something for everyone. Don’t buy new shirts this year – just work on your old ones! Here are a few cool DIY projects to update your button down shirts. Oh, and ask your dad/brother/boyfriend/guy friends if they have any they don’t wear anymore – you can use those to create some really cool outfits!
1. Want to do something small? Try embellishing the collar with a few little jewels.
2. Know how to sew? Turn your button down into a chic sleeveless blouse with a few simple steps.
3. Go for something fun and quirky by turning your buttons into little avocados.
4. Work some magic and make your button down a tank crop top. This is perfect for summer days.
5. This cool cut-out requires very basic sewing skills and will look great with a pair of jeans.
6. Or try this slightly different shape, which shows off your shoulders more.
7. Take an oversized men’s shirt from someone and transform it into an adorable off-the-shoulder dress.
8. The quickest update ever? Pin cute earrings onto the collar.
9. Add a lace insert to the back of your top for some boho flair.
10. Turn your button down into a chic off-the-shoulder top with a little sewing work.
11. Or skip the sewing altogether. Grab an oversized button down, unbutton half of it, pull it down so it’s off the shoulder, and tie the bottom half around your waist.
12. The easiest way to get the off-shoulder-look? Simply unbutton half the top and pull it down. Voila!
13. Opt for a one shoulder look with a little sewing.
14. Go for a sexy open back look by wearing the shirt backwards, keeping the buttons undone, and tying a knot.
15. Take an oversized button down and make it a cool peplum style top.
16. Transform a button-down into a romper. Seriously!
17. Work your magic and make your top into a cool, open back, ruffle top.
18. Go a totally different route and make your button down into a skirt.
19. Do some sewing to make a warm button down into a cool tank with a bow.
20. Simply tuck your shirt in a different way to do something unique:
21. Go for a feminine look with an open back and a tie neck.
Which idea is your favorite? Are you going to try any of them? Tell us in the comments.