As someone who loves to sleep in as much as I possibly can, I tend to do everything that I would normally do in the morning, at night. This way, I can snooze my alarm approximately three times and still end up being semi-on time. All I need to do is wake up, get dressed, throw on makeup, and go. But I wasn’t always like that. It takes years of being late to school every morning to learn from your mistakes. My biggest mistake was not picking out my outfit for school the next day, and that just added an extra 20 minutes to my routine in the morning. Sure, I looked cute, but I was late to class pretty much every day.
When I got to college, I had to learn how to not be known as “the late girl.” Luckily, there are some basic things that you can do at night that will significantly help your morning. And when your morning is better, your whole day will most likely go smoothly. I can’t promise anything, but here are some things that you should be doing every night in order to ensure that you’ll have a good morning and an even better day. Check them out!
1. Pick out your outfit for the next day. This way, you’ll be able to actually have time to do things in the morning without having to sort through your closet. You can try it on and make sure you actually like the outfit.
2. Do an overnight face mask. Your skin loves attention, even when you’re asleep. Try an overnight face mask that will help you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to start the day with you nourished skin.
3. Charge your phone. This is important if you have a big day the next day. You will want to have a fully charged phone the next day. You should try not to keep it in all night though, since that could actually be bad for it. I, personally, plug my phone in before I go to sleep, then unplug it when I inevitably get up to go to the bathroom at 4 am.
4. But keep it away from your bed! If you have your phone close to you, you are more likely to check it before you go to sleep and in the middle of the night, which could make you stay up later than you are actually supposed to.
5. TAKE OFF YOUR MAKEUP! This is the most important thing you can do! If you take off your makeup at night, it won’t clog your skin and you won’t be waking up to zits in the morning.
6. Write down what you have to do the next day. If you start thinking about what you have to do before you have to do it, you will have more time to mentally prepare yourself for the day ahead. Make a list of all of the things you need to do so you can plan accordingly!
7. Make your bed. I’m not sure why, but my mom always told me that I had to make my bed before I slept in it. Supposedly, making your bed before you catch some Z’s will actually help you wake up and feel more refreshed the next day.
8. Make your lunch before you sleep. It will save you some time in the morning and, I don’t know about you, but I never want to make my lunch at 8 am when all I can think about is breakfast food.
9.Make a routine and stick to it. You don’t want to go to bed at a different time every night, it will just confuse your body. If you want to feel better in the morning, you need to be sure to stick to a nightly routine so that your body will get used to it!
10. Your room might get dry in the winter/spring, so you definitely want to keep water by your bed so you don’t wake up choking on air every hour.
11. Dim your lights! If you have trouble sleeping, you will have trouble being awake the next day. There are a ton of reasons why you will feel restless at night, but if you start to dim your computer and phone lights and hour before you go to sleep, your brain will start to get ready to take a break, which is exactly what it needs to be doing before you doze off.
12. Shower at night. You might like showering in the morning, and if it wakes you up, feel free! But studies have shown that showering at night can actually help to relax your muscles and reduce anxiety, so you can sleep like a baby.
13. Declutter your space. You are more likely to sleep more soundly if you tidy up a bit before you sleep. I know I always have to do this to avoid tripping over my shoes in the middle of the night when I go to the bathroom.
14. Try not to eat right before bed. Your metabolism slows while you sleep, so you might wake up feeling sluggish or sick.
15. Try some nighttime yoga or meditation. It can get you in the right mindset to have a peaceful sleep and wakeup ready to take on your day. You’ve got this!
Are you going to try any of these tips for a better day? Tell us in the comments!