There are some hairstyles that just work better with “dirty” hair. By “dirty,” I mean second or third day hair – you know, the state of your hair when you haven’t washed it in a day or two. Hair that is not freshly washed has more natural texture, and it also has more hold and grit. This makes it perfect for a very cool ponytail style. Strands that have recently been shampooed and conditioned are often too soft to hold any kind of style – you’ll usually find that your hair at this point slips out of elastics easily, while dirtier hair will stay put. It also makes for the perfect conditions for chic braids and twists, both of which can make a plain old ponytail instantly more interesting.
Because, honestly, ponytails need a better reputation. The classic and simple pulled back style is often seen as lazy and snooze-worthy. It shouldn’t be! There are so many cool things you can do with this look that are unique and super fun. A chic ponytail is a great way to cover up greasy roots or stringy strands, and it has the added bonus of keeping your hair out of your face. Who doesn’t want that? So, the next time you reach for a hair tie to pull back your locks, pause and give yourself a few extra minutes to try something new. These are all simple enough for beginners while also managing to look intimidatingly awesome. Try these ponytail tutorials if you have dirty hair – trust us!
1. To start, you should probably get the basics down. A “simple” ponytail requires a little more work than you think. Dirty hair will hold a wave better:
2. A quick go-to is a braided ponytail. If you know how to pull your hair back and how to braid, this should take two minutes to do:
3. If you want something fancier, but not too fancy, go for an updated ponytail version of a French twist. This is ideal for dirtier hair, as that will hold the twist much better.
4. If you have long hair, two Dutch braids criss-crossed into a low ponytail is a very chic way to go about your day.
5. Or maybe you really want some volume in your ponytail – that’s where this one comes in. Teasing second day hair will give you some serious lift.
6. A fishtail pony is way easier than it looks. Here’s how to do it:
7. A half braid into a ponytail is unique and super cool.
8. If you have no time but still want to look good, add a gold hair accessory to a low, messy ponytail.
9. Try this cool twisted look that works great with second day hair texture.
10. Adding a few knots at the top is all it takes to make a ponytail look more interesting:
11. This pull-through ponytail is so cool to look at and not very difficult to accomplish:
12. And this one, split into sections, will keep every strand in place no matter what you’re doing.
13. Try this low twist into a side ponytail for something boho and romantic:
14. You need a lot of texture for this tied ponytail, which makes second or third day hair ideal for this. It will hold better and won’t require as much product.
15. Twist your hair so that it looks like it’s a twist in place of an elastic:
16. Or try this messy twisted look that is still super chic:
17. You can also try this elegant take on a topsy tail pony for something fun:
18. If you’re looking for something messy but elegant, this low knotted look is so perfect:
Which one of these ponytail styles would you try? What’s your least favorite? Share in the comments!