This might sound dumb, but I’m wondering what I should wear whenever I have my period. It makes me feel bloated and uncomfortable and it’s so hard for me to find something that makes me feel comfortable and also still looks nice. I’m afraid someone is going to smell my period blood or be able to tell that I’m on it. What should I wear?
This doesn’t sound dumb! Anyone who has ever gotten their period can relate to the uncomfortable feeling that comes along with it – if it were up to most of us, we would spend that week in loose sweatpants and sweatshirts. Unfortunately, life goes on even as menstruation happens, and we’re forced to put on real clothes and go to things that require us to look nice. Ugh.
Fortunately, looking nice doesn’t always mean feeling uncomfortable. There are plenty of options that will keep you feeling relaxed even when you’re also feeling bloated, crampy, and kind of miserable. Here are a few pieces you should keep on hand for that time of the month (and, really, any time of the month because you can wear this stuff whenever you want), along with some tips on how to wear them so you can look chic AND feel comfy at the same time:
- Leggings: Black leggings are a wardrobe staple you absolutely need during your period because they’re versatile and comfortable. Dress them down with nice flats and a long shirt, or dress them up with a fancier tunic and a pair of heeled boots. Honestly, there are so many ways to wear them, and they’ll leave you feeling free and comfy and cozy all at the same time.
- Jogger pants: These are a lifesaving staple everyone should have in their closet. Leggings are great, but they can definitely be on the tighter side – jogger pants are essentially dressed up sweatpants. This means that, if left too casual, they will look like actual sweatpants, so you have to be careful. My favorite look is loose black jogger pants with a pair of heels and a t-shirt tucked in. You can add a blazer or a nice top to be more dressed up if you want. If heels sound like torture, wear your joggers with ankle boots or lace-up flats.
- Flowy dress: A nice, loose dress is perfect for your period week. It’s not constricting, and it still looks nice. For winter, you can wear one over tights or over-the-knee boots. Add a cardigan for warmth, and you’ve got an easy outfit that still looks good.
- Long cardigan: Speaking of a cardigan, get yourself a long knit cardigan for period weeks – and really, any week. They’re basically like more stylish zip-up hoodies. You can pair a long one with leggings, with a dress, and of course with jeans.
- Chic sneakers: Shoes can also be a pain when you have your period and just want to be careful. Get yourself a nice pair of sneakers to join the athleisure trend that’s happening right now. I love Vans slip-on sneakers, but there are tons of options out there right now. They can be worn with leggings, jeans, and even dresses.
At the end of the day, though, you just need to pick clothes that make you feel comfortable and confident. And hey, if you have a day or two where you’re in sweats, it’s fine! You deserve it.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com