According to my ~sources~ (by that I mean the Internet, Pinterest, social media, and the occasional fashion show), hair scarves are going to be a big trend for 2017. Of course, hair scarves (or turbans or bandanas, as you might know them better) have been around forever. Women have been wearing scarves in their hair as an accessory and as a necessity for many, many years. But it’s also definitely true that in the last few years, the mainstream hair community has been more focused on beach waves, half-up buns, and braids than anything else. So hair scarves making a bit of a comeback? It deserves some tutorials and looks for inspiration.
Hair scarves are great for so many reasons. They can give off a cool boho vibe that just makes you look insanely chic but in, like, a casual way, you know? Aside from this more decorative advantage, hair scarves are also helpful. They can make you look good when you’re having a bad hair day or you haven’t shampooed in a few days, they can shield your locks from the sun and other harsh weather, and they can help keep hair protected and healthy. What’s not to love? Here are some truly gorgeous hair scarf tutorials that will definitely make you want to run out and buy one.
1. You don’t need to have a specific scarf for your hair – you can take a light scarf you already own and fold it up. Try making it into a thick turban-style headband that makes a really cute and casual look.
2. Want to cover all of your hair? Try this cool twisted look with a long scarf.
3. This hair scarf look is one you probably see the most often – it’s easy to do and makes an easy style, like a messy bun, look so much more put together.
4. Here’s an easy step-by-step guide on how to do another popular style:
5. Twist your hair scarf so it’s thinner, then loop it through your hair to create an easy updo type of look – the front knot gives this a vintage feel.
6. Make a knot in your scarf, then twist around your head as kind of a large headband type of thing. This look is great for hiding dirty roots.
7. I’m not really feeling the name of this tutorial, but that aside – this is a cute and easy way to turn a hair scarf into a hairstyle.
8. Make your bun look cooler and give yourself a bit of a vintage vibe by wrapping a silk scarf around your head.
9. A hair scarf doesn’t have to be super casual. This easy updo is so elegant and pretty, and also so simple to create.
10. Grab a thin hair scarf, then add it to your braid to create a really unique looking braid crown.
11. Want a vintage feel? Tie a scarf or bandana into a knotted headband.
12. This knotted scarf look is perfect for days you have no time and have to throw your hair up in a bun.
13. Want to be sure all of your hair is covered? You can follow this tutorial:
14. Try something super unique by braiding a scarf into your hair, then wrapping it up in a really pretty bun.
15. Or, put your hair in a bun, and then use a large scarf to just totally wrap up everything.
16. Turn a basic square scarf into a hair accessory by making it into a sort of knotted side headband.
17. Here’s another very cool way to wrap your entire bun up:
18. If you have a lob or a bob, try this cool look:
19. Here’s how to wrap a low bun for a vintage inspired look.
20. Twist your hair and the scarf together, then wrap into a bun for something a little unexpected.
21. Try this half up tuck and cover look for an elegant and feminine hairstyle.
22. Okay, honestly, how cool does this front knot style look?
23. Turn your scarf into a vintage looking head wrap in just a few minutes:
24. Try this basic style for something simple and classic:
25. And here’s one last basic wrap style with a silk scarf:
Which scarf hairstyle is your favorite? Which one are you going to try? What did we forget to add? Share in the comments!