If there’s one thing you can learn about fashion from the end of 2016, it’s that oversized everything is *in.* Oversized sweaters are perfect for winter, oversized sweatshirts went from lazy day clothing to extremely trendy and weirdly sexy clothing. Oversized t-shirts have become basically another word for dresses. And, of course, oversized denim jackets are also making a statement. I first noticed the trend a few months ago on Instagram, when I saw photos of some of my favorite street style stars wearing these huge denim jackets as if they were sweaters or shirts. Then Gigi Hadid and the Jenners started wearing them, and as soon as that I happened, I knew they were going to become a Thing.
Oversized denim jackets have a different vibe from a “regular” denim jacket. Cropped or more fitted jean jackets tend to look slightly more preppy with an all-American classic look. Oversized denim jacket that look like you found them from raiding your dad’s closet have a more grunge feel – or at least a 2016 version of grunge. They should look like they’re too big for your body, whether they’re longer, wider, or just slouchy. The big jean jackets that are popular right now look kind of rugged and vintage, but when paired with certain items, they become stylish enough for the coolest of casual street style stars. And while they don’t seem quite practical enough for cold winter weather, we can work around that. Here are a few style tips on how to wear an oversized denim jacket, with outfit ideas you’ll definitely want to copy.
1. Let’s just start off with one of the most popular ways to wear an oversized denim jacket right now, okay? Wear it over an oversized t-shirt with over the knee boots. Bam – Instagram style star!
2. One tip to keep in mind: style your jacket like you would style a knit cardigan or sweater. One example is wearing it over a summery dress with tights and boots.
3. Mix the oversized look with the opposite – tight and shorter. A big denim jacket makes a crop top more acceptable for winter weather.
4. Or do something completely different and use it to stay as cozy as possible. A big denim jacket looks right at home layered over your favorite sweatshirt with jeans and sneakers.
5. Mix your jacket with unexpected textures, like a velvet dress. Add cool accessories like a hat, platform shoes, and gold jewelry to make the jacket look more luxe.
6. As with most things in life, you can’t go wrong when wearing a huge denim jacket over a plaid shirt.
7. Instead of, you know, putting your arms in the sleeves, throw your jacket over your shoulders casually, like a ~Fashion It Girl~
8. Go denim on denim for a fresh take on the Canadian tuxedo look. Roll up the sleeves and add a crop top for a sexier vibe.
9. Get warmer with lots of layers. A big denim jacket looks cool and casual over a sweatshirt and a button down, with a big comfy scarf.
10. Keep it simple – wear your oversized jacket with a plain tee, skinny jeans, and heels. A thick choker brings everything together.
11. Layer an oversized jacket over a big sweater, letting the sleeves peek out.
12. An easy and fast but still chic look is a black dress with an oversized jacket. Wear it with ankle boots and bare legs if possible, but you can always throw on tights.
13. These oversized jackets are mainly paired with basic, monochromatic pieces, but do something different by wearing yours with striped pants like these.
14. Use a big denim jacket to freshen up athleisure wear, like a pair of cool leggings and a plain white tee.
15. Layer a big jean jacket over a dress to make it work for winter weather. I’m really into the way this jacket and dress are basically the same length.
16. Keep things super basic by wearing your jacket over a white tee and black jeans. The oversized look makes this easy outfit a little more interesting.
17. Stay super cozy by wearing your jacket over a chunky turtleneck sweater. I like how this girl cuffed the sleeves.
18. Pair your oversized denim jacket over an oversized sweater – it’s oversized heaven! Add over-the-knee boots for some sort of warmth.
19. If you live somewhere where you can wear shorts – go for it. An oversized denim jacket makes it more appropriate for winter weather.
20. You can even wear these with fancier clothes. Pair your oversized jacket with a tight dress and heels for a night out.
Which outfit is your favorite? How do you wear an oversized denim jacket? What other style tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!