Sweatshirts, once thought of as something you only wore when you were feeling lazy and didn’t want to look put together, are currently enjoying a moment in the fashion world. Well, maybe I should be more specific. A few years ago, embellished and printed sweatshirts were chic and became even a workplace staple, and this year, we’re seeing the opposite gaining popularity – oversized sweatshirts. Yes, big, comfy sweatshirts you would typically wear while hanging out with your friends at your house. A sweatshirt so big it might look like you borrowed it from someone larger than you. They’re ~trendy~ right now, and they’re also really comfortable, so… why are we still talking about it? Don’t we all want to take advantage of this and learn how to wear oversized sweatshirts?
Because, to be clear, oversized sweatshirts are only trendy when worn a specific way. When paired with the right clothing items or accessories, a big sweatshirt can make you look like the picture perfect example of cool girl street style. And, obviously, you don’t need to strive for this look if you don’t want to. But if you clicked on this link, I’m assuming you intended on wearing a huge sweatshirt with something other than your most cozy sweatpants, you know? So, if you want to get in on this trend before it’s gone (because it will be shortly), check out these style tips on how to wear oversized sweatshirts and get ready to want to copy every single outfit idea:
1. The most popular way to wear an oversized sweatshirt right now? With thigh-high boots. If you feel like you need something underneath, layer yours over a mini skirt.
2. Or you can keep things much more casual by wearing yours with leggings and sneakers. The key to keeping this stylish is to pick a textured sweatshirt, and add chic accessories like a hat, clutch, and nice jewelry.
3. The perfect outfit for a long school day? A big sweatshirt, leggings, boots, and a cute vest over it.
4. Layering a jacket over your sweatshirt not only keeps you warmer, it also makes your outfit look more put together. Wear this with a statement necklace and a pair of cute boots.
5. If your sweatshirt is pretty long, wear it as a dress with over-the-knee boots. You’re basically Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner in this look.
6. Stay comfortable with leggings and sneakers. You can make this look slightly less casual with a bold lipstick and a cool graphic on your sweatshirt.
7. Feel like you need something less bulky? Try tying yours in the front like this girl did:
8. Make even an oversized sweatshirt look more professional by wearing it over a midi skirt with cool flats.
9. A mini skirt, tights, and heels is another good way to make a big sweatshirt look put together.
10. Like the idea of wearing your sweatshirt as a dress but don’t want your legs to be bare? Wear it over tights.
11. Tuck it into high-waist jeans for something comfortable but cute.
12. Wear your sweatshirt with over-the-knee boots, then add a long cardigan for warmth.
13. Wear yours with denim shorts over a pair of black tights and a giant scarf.
14. A big sweatshirt is the perfect thing to wear after the gym – just add a baseball hat and you’re good to go.
15. Get a more unique look by layering your sweatshirt over a maxi dress or skirt.
16. A sweatshirt and ripped jeans actually look pretty good with a pair of delicate heels.
17. Or just stay super comfy and wear it with sweatpants and sneakers!
18. Fitted jeans, heels, and a more structured large sweatshirt look professional and cool.
19. Or keep it more casual with ripped skinny jeans and sneakers.
20. Big sweatshirts obviously have longer sleeves. Keep yourself together by rolling them up.
Which one of these outfit ideas is your favorite? How do you wear oversized sweatshirts? Tell me in the comments!