The holidays mean it’s time for a few different things: festive cheer, overwhelming stress, lots of parties, presents to give and get, and, of course, ugly sweaters. I’m not sure when, exactly, our culture decided to make the traditional “ugly Christmas sweater” (you know, the embarrassing and outdated sweater you will inevitably get from your grandma or an older aunt who means well and then you are forced to wear it when you see them, in which case, you will almost definitely run into your crush) into something positive, but it happened, and now it is A Thing. Ugly Christmas sweater parties aren’t just for sororities and fraternities looking for an excuse to get drunk – they happen all over the place! And, in order to go to one, you need an ugly Christmas sweater, obviously. But why drop money on one when you could make one, which means it will be more unique and creative?
Much like DIY Halloween costumes, ugly Christmas sweaters just look better when they’re homemade. And, really, they aren’t that difficult to put together. Since the whole point is to look tacky AF, there are few rules to follow, and the more things you throw on there, the better. Unless, of course, you want to do one of those “ugly” sweaters that are actually very stylish and cool. I mean, do it if you want, but IDK it kind of ruins the magic. I haven’t been invited to an ugly sweater party, ever, which makes me feel extremely uncool and out of the loop, but at least I can write about them and imagine that one day I would be invited to one. Anyway, let’s move past that pathetic statement and focus on the DIY ugly Christmas sweater ideas you should check out for your own holiday party. Start with a cheap, plain sweater, and get crafting. Time to get festive!
1. Tinsel is a great way to make an ugly holiday sweater stand out, and it’s just fun to wear. Wrap it around a green or red sweater and add some pom pom balls. Easy and cute!
2. Or you can go all out and wrap an entire sweater or blazer with tinsel, adding accessories like bows and charms wherever you want.
3. Get super creative by turning a red sweater into a fireplace, using your arms as the mantel.
4. One really fun way to stand out is to make your sweater light up. After all, when will you have that chance again?
5. Take inspiration from this terrifying Donald Trump Christmas sweater.
6. Or get more cutesy than flashy and make a sweater with a cute reindeer face.
7. You could also do something like… this… but… I don’t know why:
8. Your sweater should be ugly everywhere, not just in the front! I love the idea of putting a row of bows down your back, ending with one giant one.
9. Try an inappropriate but still adorable couples sweater look:
10. If you want to go the “ugly but not actually ugly” route, make this cute Christmas lights sweater.
11. Glue tinsel into a tree shape, then add cheap ornaments. The candy cane sleeves are a cute touch.
12. Or make something like this, which is actually not ugly at all:
13. These aren’t sweaters, but these tulle Christmas dresses were too cute for me to not include.
14. And, okay, technically these aren’t sweaters either, but this is so cute! Christmas presents!
15. Get sassy with a sweater that has a sense of humor:
16. Use ribbon to create a tree, and then glue garland around the edges of the sweater for something truly horrific.
17. I actually don’t think anything about this is ugly, but okay. Turn a tree skirt into an actual skirt, and add some accessories.
18. This girl is amazing for thinking of this – grandma got run over by a reindeer! I’m personally obsessed.
19. Use garland and charms to make a Christmas tree shape, and don’t forget the big bow on the top.
20. Use lots of ribbon and bows to make your sweater look like a giant present.
21. You can even make something that looks like a real Christmas tree:
22. Lights, tinsel, our favorite Christmas characters… it doesn’t get any better than this ugly sweater!
Which DIY ugly Christmas sweater is your favorite? What did I forget to add? Share in the comments!