Not to sound too dramatic, but experiencing anxiety on a regular basis IRL is not funny in any way. It’s exhausting, frustrating, upsetting, and a huge hurdle you have to work to get over. As someone who suffers from general anxiety, I get all of that a little too well. I can’t tell you how many times my anxiety has held me back, or how many times it has made me feel like I’m suffocating while in open air. I can’t count how many times I have had to push myself through fear and anxious feelings so bad they made me physically sick so that I could do something I really wanted to do. Anxiety has contributed to my chronic health condition, it sneaks into every single thought I have, and it makes even simple tasks more difficult.
That said, I think laughing about anxiety is really, really important, especially on Tumblr.
I know that a lot of people think of anxiety jokes as trivilizing and offensive. You’re entitled to that opinion, but I think that taking a light-hearted approach can be helpful. Laughing at my anxiety has helped me take it less seriously, and taking it super seriously can sometimes make it feel like a bigger force than it has to be. Remember, the best way to get over anxiety is to do the thing you’re anxious about – and if you’re making it larger than life, that makes it harder. But, if you laugh at it, it can sometimes make it less intimidating. See what I mean? In that note, check out these hilarious Tumblr posts you’ll relate to if you have anxiety. You’ll laugh, you’ll share on social, and maybe you’ll even feel a little bit better.
1. You, right now and basically all the time:
2. Because you can’t be happy for too long without something bad happening.
3. Literally me.
4. Although the words might be slightly different, this dog is, essentially, you.
5. Why you don’t do most things:
6. How you chat with your therapist:
7. You are Obama:
8. When you manage to convince yourself that everything is your fault:
9. What this seemingly happy emoji really means to a person with anxiety:
10. This seems probable:
11. When you want to do something but your anxiety holds you back:
12. This is a beautiful representation of you:
13. When you over-analyze every single little thing because you can’t help it:
14. Seems accurate:
15. When you can’t stop thinking about things but you have to tell people you did so they don’t think you’re weird:
16. You, all the time (me too):
17. You have so much to look forward to!
18. Your list of worries knows no bounds.
19. When you’re good at hiding your anxiety:
21. You even get anxious about things that are good:
22. This is actually very helpful!
23. But back to the funny stuff:
24. When you’re anxious about something but you don’t know what:
25. When you’re happy and then…
26. When people give REALLY good advice.
27. When your anxiety messes with your head:
28. It makes you second guess everything:
29. It strikes just when things are becoming okay.
30. And it makes you feel totally confused.
31. Your strategy for coping:
32. When someone tries to make you feel better:
33. You explaining yourself:
34. Your version of flirting:
Which one of these Tumblr posts is your favorite? What is your anxiety like? Let us know in the comments.