There’s something about looking at string lights that is very soothing and relaxing. Maybe it’s because of the low, twinkly light, maybe it’s because they give off an aura of coziness, or maybe it’s because they are often accompanied by lots of blankets and cute pillows and other aesthetically pleasing decorations – but whatever it is, string lights have a magical vibe to them that makes them the perfect piece of room decor. While they were obviously made to be draped over your walls, there are other, more creative things to do with string lights that will leave your bedroom looking very dreamy.
If you haven’t started to take advantage of string lights just yet, what are you waiting for?! They make any bedroom look more cozy and comfy. They’re also usually pretty inexpensive and easy to set up. And since they don’t require much, they’re great for DIY projects or college dorm rooms that need some personality. You can buy them anywhere – Urban Outfitters has a ton of options, but I’ve even seen them for sale in dollar stores – and it’s not hard to make them look good. So, this winter, make your bedroom the best place to be by trying out some of these tips on decorating with string lights. You’ll never want to leave!
1. Wrap your string lights around your vanity or desk mirror to give yourself a glow every time you look at it.
2. Use clips to hang photos or Polaroid pictures in between lights.
3. Hang sheer sheets into a canopy like situation, then hang a bunch of string lights around the sheets. Let the string lights also hang down against the wall to give this a closed in feel.
4. Hang your string lights from the ceiling, letting them droop lower in the middles.
5. Drape your lights along the walls without being too “perfect.” Add Chinese lanterns for an even more pleasing look.
6. Drape your string lights around a tall mirror to make it light up.
7. Do a little DIY with ping pong balls – they’ll make your string lights look bigger and more white. Or, you can paint the balls beforehand for colored lights.
8. Wrap string lights around your curtain rod, letting them hang down against the curtains for a magical look. These look best with sheer curtains.
9. Put string lights into colorful glass bottles. You can use white, yellow, or colored lights. These make really fun and easy DIY decor.
10. Drape your string lights from one end of your headboard to the other for a little extra soft lighting while you’re cuddling in bed.
11. Put tiny twinkly string lights inside of lanterns for some cool, rustic decor.
12. Use a hula hoop for some DY action – wrap string lights around the hoop, then hang to make a makeshift chandelier.
13. Hang string lights from your ceiling over your bed, letting them drape down low so they’re almost like little stars.
14. Make a canopy nook and hang string lights around the opening to make it extra magical.
15. Create a light up headboard on your own with some small string lights and a little crafting action.
16. Put small string lights into a mason jar to create a really pretty “light” for your room.
17. Put string lights underneath book shelves (or any shelves) to make them look really cool.
18. Or instead of under, put them on top of the shelves.
19. Instead of the boho draping, carefully line up your string lights around your room so they make a sort of border.
20. You can have both a tapestry and string lights! Just hang the lights over the tapestry – it actually makes the art look cooler.
21. No closet doors? Put string lights around the opening to make the area look better – and, tbh, you can do this even if you have doors.
22. Put string lights all over your bookshelves or shelves.
Which one of these string light decor ideas is your favorite? What did we forget to add? Let me know in the comments.