Say goodbye to the half-up/half-down bun – double buns have officially taken over as the trendiest cool girl hairstyle of the season. It’s only fitting, considering how many other late 90’s/early 2000’s trends are considered stylish again. Double buns are also known as space buns, and they always make me think of my childhood obsession with the Spice Girls. They’re cute, fun, unique, and easy to do – and they’re also super versatile. As it turns out, there isn’t only one way to do space buns. You can have fun with the style by tweaking it to make it your own, and these ridiculously cool styles below are only a few examples.
Double buns are an adorable throwback, and the first time I noticed them gaining traction again was a few years ago when Gurl writer Ashley Reese started at the site as an intern. Ashley wore her hair in space buns all the time, and I was always jealous of the way she pulled them off when so many other people weren’t wearing them just yet. Flash forward a few years, and double buns are literally everywhere – but I still feel the need to point out that Ashley was wearing them before they were *Instagram cool.*
Anyway! Do something different with your hair than the same old bun, ponytail, or blowout. Check out these double bun hairstyles you absolutely need to try:
1. If you’re not sure what you’re doing, here’s the most basic space bun tutorial. But, if you can put hair in a bun and make a part, it’s really simple.
2. And here’s basically the same tutorial for half-up/half-down space buns:
3. And here’s how to French or Dutch braid hair into two double buns. This tutorial shows how to do it with low buns, but as you can see below, you can use these instructions and tweak the final look.
4. Do half-up space buns and do two Dutch braids back into them. The look is cute and boho and so cool.
5. If you have long hair, do half up space buns, and don’t be afraid to make them super tall.
6. Instead of braids on the front part of your hair, do them down the back of your head from each bun. The video in the link below takes you step by step.
7. Opt for a zig zag part that makes your space buns look super interesting and fun.
8. Do mini half-up space buns more to the side of your head than on top. Complete the boho look with a few small braids in the rest of your hair.
9. Don’t stress about making your space buns perfectly. Messy buns with hair falling out is a really cute look too.
10. If your hair is short or layered, try leaving out a section of the front pieces, and putting the rest of your hair into two messy buns.
11. Or, go for a slightly more polished boho look. Pull hair into half-up mini space buns, and braid your hair before twisting it into the buns. This will hold the shape a lot better.
12. Go for glitter roots if you really want to make a statement. Ths is the perfect hairstyle to try them out on.
13. Part your hair, then put each section in a ponytail. Twist each ponytail tightly before tightly wrapping into two buns. Bobby pin in place and go!
14. Keep your double buns low and to the side so that you can wear them with a baseball hat and be *extra trendy.*
15. …Or put your space buns up high, then wear them with a visor.
16. Secure your space buns with pretty hair accessories, like these rose gold cuffs.
17. If you have lots of natural hair, pull it into two space buns, then let your curls do their thing.
18. If you want something more low-key, do two low space buns.
19. Braided double buns are super easy and great for days when you want to put your hair up without having to think about it.
20. Do two mini space buns closer to the top of your head instead of the sides.
21. Dutch braid your hair back into two low, messy double buns.
22. Accessorize by putting flash tattoos down your middle part when wearing space buns.
23. Instead of doing a part down the middle of your head, grab hair from opposite sides for this non-part that looks really cool.
24. Most half-up space bun hairstyles have a middle part. Instead, try just pulling your hair back with no part, then separating into two sections.
25. If you have braids, try this very cool half-up look. I love the braids wrapped around the base:
26. Have straight across bangs? No worries! Leave them out and put the rest of your hair into double buns.
27. Put two mini space buns in the middle of your curly hair for an effortless looking style.
28. Braid up into your space buns, but then continue the braid into each section of hair before wrapping it into a double bun.
Which space bun hairstyle is your favorite? Are you going to try double buns? Let me know in the comments!