The cold weather during the end of fall and the winter season can make it easy to fall into a style rut. When the temperature drops, it makes sense to bundle up in big sweaters and thick jeans and tall boots. For a few weeks, this combination, that is such a stark contrast to summer’s crop tops and short shorts, is fun and much appreciated. But after a little while, it starts to get kind of boring and less stylish. That’s when it’s time to switch things up, and there’s no better way to do that than with a dress and some layering.
The chilly weather doesn’t mean you need to avoid dresses altogether, it just means you need to learn how to layer them like a pro. A dress and a pair of tights makes for an easy, acceptable look, but if you want to wear an outfit that stands out a little more, you’ve got to add onto it. We are currently seeing a resurgence of ’90s and early 2000’s trends, which means that layering dresses over other shirts is definitely expected. Let’s embrace it!
Here are a few ways to layer your dresses this fall and winter that will keep you warm and cozy without making you look like a walking pile of sweaters. Not that there’s anything wrong with a pile of sweaters, but… you know what I mean.
1. Let’s start with the most classic dress layering combo: a long cardigan, warm socks, and a pair of boots. You can’t go wrong!
2. To change it up a bit, try belting your cardigan for more of a shape, and add a cozy scarf. Swap your knee high boots for ankle boots, and show off fun socks over tights.
3. One easy way to layer your dress for winter is to wear a sweater over your dress. It almost looks like a skirt/sweater combo.
4. You can also go a preppier route instead of boho. Wear a fitted sweater overa fitted dress and let the collar peak out.
5. Instead of a cardigan, toughen up your layers by wearing a leather jacket over your dress. This looks especially good when you mix a feminine fabric like florals with this more rough jacket.
6. For those of you in warmer climates, embrace the slip dress trend by wearing it over a tee with ankle boots.
7. Instead of wearing something over a dress, wear it under a dress – a turtleneck looks great under something sleeveless and structured, along with tights and a hat.
8. A velvet slip dress is more winter-friendly, and you can wear it over a turtleneck to stay even more cozy. Add tights and ankle boots.
9. Make a sheer shirt work for cold weather by layering it under a dress.
10. Put a v-neck sweater over a high-neck dress, belt it, add tights, and put on heels. You’ve got a vintagey preppy look going on!
11. If you’re not into the baggy sweater over a dress look and don’t want to wear a belt, here’s how to tie your sweater so it looks more fitted:
12. Another belt option: wear it over the dress, but throw on a loose cardigan over that. This type of look is so easy and cute!
13. Layer a dress over brightly colored tights instead of just black ones. It’s more fun!
14. Ditch the sweater and wear your dress layered over a button-down top. It’s unexpected and looks really cute.
15. Channel today’s trends by tying a plaid shirt around your waist and wearing thigh high boots with your dress.
16. Wear your dress with a long coat, and add knee socks instead of boots.
17. Stay warmer by layering your knee socks over tights, and adding a warm infinity scarf.
18. Or take it to one more level by wearing tights, knee socks, AND knee high boots.
19. Layer an oversized sweater over any dress. A hat and tights keep this look warm.
20. Throw on a vest to stay warm and look glamorous all day.
Which one of these outfits would you wear? How do you layer your dresses? Tell me in the comments!