At this point in your conventional schooling career–which probably involves midterms, SAT prep, and the constant, mounting pressure of having to live up to the expectations that everyone else has set for you–it can be hard to acknowledge a time, if ever there was one, when you actually liked school. But this is most likely because you’re just not looking back far enough. You know, like, all the way back to elementary school.
I mean, this isn’t exactly a novel idea, but elementary school was objectively dope, wasn’t it? There are the obvious reasons why this was, of course, like recess, the books your teacher would read aloud to you at the end of the day, and being graded on effort instead of actual results. But beyond that, it was significantly easier to glean actual happiness from material goods and posessions. Like, sure, being gifted a bunch of Sephora products today wouldn’t make you miserable, but there are very few items that would be likely to rival the joy of your first THING. So, detach from your current academic responsibilities and adolescent angst for just one second and reminisce on a better time with these things you totally forgot you were obsessed with in elementary school:
1. This sweet, sweet outfit:
2. Impressing everyone with your revolutionary recorder technique:
3. Going Gucci at the Scholastic Book fair twice a year (parents permitting, of course):
4. Being rewarded at the end of a long, hard day by watching a Bill Nye video:
5. Butt scooters:
6. This timeless game:
— Assandra♡ (@bae_sah) February 21, 2016
7. Getting to wear your special class t-shirt for field day:
Our Northlake Hills Elementary School first graders had an incredibly amazing, hands-on day on their Field Trip to the Discovery Cube! pic.twitter.com/tquv02CYj3
— Castaic USD (@CastaicUSD) October 28, 2016
8. Also wearing a special outfit whenever you were around your crush, but vehemently denying the existence of said crush whenever someone asked you about it:
when i was 7 i had a crush on a girl in my class & didnt know how to deal w it so I wrote her a letter that just said "get out of my school"
— lindsey (@Lindzeta) January 15, 2013
9. Marker swords, which, if you think about it, are the only DIY project that ever really mattered:
10. Another important DIY project:
11. Your rolling backpack, which let everyone in the hall know that they better respect you…or else:
My little sister is finna be the baddest bitch of elementary school with her rolling backpack pic.twitter.com/GDNYXcWQb4
— moseph (@_moekhatib) August 16, 2013
12. Or, if you couldn’t spring for a rolling backpack, the sweet monogrammed version from L.L. Bean:
im not excited for school but I love my new backpack tysm ll bean pic.twitter.com/RuaX1Y8aBh
— eliana, 10 (@lovestorylester) August 20, 2016
13. Risking expulsion for a classic comedy bit like this:
my mom is an elementary school music teacher and they sang part of uptown funk for a concert and all the 6th grade boys said "fuck" instead
— brady maurer (@zipoffs) April 4, 2015
14. Wearing your sickest sleeping garb on pajama day:
Pajama Day! I love working in an Elementary School! pic.twitter.com/hV05mbxi3E
— Spencer Delisle (@BFESPotomac) December 23, 2015
15. But, really–if you weren’t wearing gouchos when you stunted on someone in elementary school were you even stunting on them at all?
Remember gaucho pants? Like I miss them pic.twitter.com/Uns4hzTQHj
— Emily (@emilyyrader) August 29, 2016
Nope. You sure weren’t.
Were you obsessed with these things too? Which ones? Let us know in the comments!