In the words of Miranda Priestly, from the classic and extremely important movie, The Devil Wears Prada, let me just preface with this: “Oversized sweaters, for fall? Groundbreaking.”
Okay, fine, she never said those actual words, and she isn’t a real person, but it doesn’t matter – you get the point. Oversized sweaters and fall go together like peanut butter and jelly; meaning one is better with the other. #SweaterWeather is the best weather, something that everyone knows, and this is especially true when your sweater is so giant you can’t tell if you’re not wearing a bra underneath it (the #best). The only question is, uh, how do you wear it without looking a little bit too casual? I, personally, used to have a problem with oversized sweaters, because as a small person who is just barely five feet tall, they would overpower and eat me and I’d look ridiculous.
Fortunately, we can all wear big sweaters without worrying about looking like we’re being consumed by them. You just need to style them a bit! Inspired by two big sweaters I just bought for myself, I looked up some outfit ideas and wanted to share them with you. Check out these tips on how to wear oversized sweaters this fall. It’s the comfiest thing you’ll ever own!
1. Keep it simple! Pair it over black leggings, add ankle boots, and throw on a hat. You’re good to go basically anywhere.
2. Look, it me! I bought a sweater a size bigger than I normally am and wore it as a dress with over the knee boots. It was comfy and (I think) looked cute!
3. If your sweater isn’t quite long enough for that, wear it over a bodycon dress or slip.
4. Add a scarf to stay even more cozy.
5. Layer your sweater over a chambray shirt for a preppy vibe.
6. Pair a cozy knit sweater with leather or pleather leggings. The two are an unexpected match, but they work well. The sweater dresses down the leggings, and the leggings dress up the sweater, creating the perfect balance.
7. If the sweater and no pants look is too much, add tights. I love this giant sweater with the unexpected combat boots.
8. A big sweater, leggings, and Oxford shoes is a comfortable and cute outfit.
9. Let your oversized sweater fall down one shoulder for a cute, casual look.
10. Instead of boots, pair a large sweater with white sneakers.
11. Or get thigh high boots that go up as far as possible for an oversized sweater on the shorter side.
12. A big sweater, a scarf, leggings, and knee high boots equals the outfit that fall dreams are made of.
13. Layer your giant sweater over a button down, letting just the collar pick out.
14. This layered look is so good! Wear your sweater over tights, then add knee socks for extra warmth.
15. For a boho vibe, wear your knit sweater over a flowy, lacy dress with layers. Add tall boots to look even cuter.
16. Take a break from the boots, and wear your oversized sweater with leggings and a pair of lace-up flats.
17. Or you can wear your sweater with heels for a more dressed up outfit.
18. Another way to dress up a big knit sweater is to wear it with skinny jeans and heels, which is great if it’s too cold to wear the above look.
19. Pair your sweater with skinny jeans and a pair of over the knee boots for a very easy outfit.
20. And lastly, you can’t go wrong with this trendy look of the moment: your sweater, off the shoulder, with over the knee boots. Perfect!
Which one of these outfits is your favorite? What kind of style tips do you want to see? Let me know in the comments.