Search for “DIY costumes” on Pinterest, and a lot of unique ideas will come up – but so will a lot of repeated ideas. One of the most popular costumes online seems to be a deer, which I have figured out because I literally can’t search for Halloween costumes on Pinterest without seeing at least one image of a girl in deer makeup. This isn’t an issue, exactly, because deer makeup is adorable and pretty and fairly easy to do on your own. It’s just a little much because I have seen so many of them. Plus, some of the costumes are getting weird. For example, I saw one makeup tutorial for a “dead deer” costume complete with a bullet hole in the middle of the girl’s forehead. This seems a bit extreme.
If you want to dress as a deer this Halloween, there are lots of makeup and costume options that range from elaborate to super simple – just please don’t do the dead deer with a bullet hole thing. I’m all for originality but that’s, like, a lot. Plus, why would you want to pick that when I’ve found so many other better options for you? The below makeup and costume tutorials are fun, adorable, and perfect for a low-key Halloween (maybe – unless you choose one of the more detailed options). Check ’em out and pick your favorite!
1. Start with the perfect deer makeup look. This one is on point – it’s accurate, it’s not too over the top, and it’s actually really pretty.
2. If you’re looking at that with no clue what to do, try something more simple, like this no frills deer makeup tutorial:
3. Be more of a *woodland* deer and add little flowers to your antlers and in your hair.
4. This tutorial breaks down the most basic deer makeup that even beginners can do:
5. Instead of antlers, put your hair into space buns or half space buns. It’s a little bit of a different approach and puts more attention onto your makeup.
6. This tutorial is a little different – the graphic eyeliner is my personal favorite. It adds a bit of a unique touch.
7. Some deer have a lot of white on their face. Mimic the look with white powder around your eyes, like so:
8. Once you’ve got the makeup down, get your props ready. This is an easy tutorial on how to make authentic looking deer antlers and ears.
9. This tutorial creates very realistic looking antlers and ears you’ll never want to get rid of:
10. You can also use felt and a headband to create a really pretty flowery antler band.
11. If you really want to get into character, carry around some fake leaves and…. pretend to eat them?
12. Make things more sinister by being a taxidermy deer. This is… so much. I don’t know.
13. Now it’s time for the main event – your costume. You can choose to make something very elaborate, like this deer jumpsuit (the link shows you how to make everything from the jumpsuit to the antlers to the makeup).
14. Go for something “punny” with your BFF, like “Oh dear” and “holy cow!”
15. Keep things super simple with brown shirts, leggings, Uggs, antlers, and makeup. This is cozy and perfect for school.
16. Do a little crafting with a brown shirt and leggings by simple painting on white dots and adding a tail. Comfortable, warm, and authentic!
17. Or go for the ~sexy deer~ look with leggings and a crop top.
18. Go for this *classic* couples costume: a hunter and a deer. Poetic!
19. Get even more morbid by posing like this. Beautiful!
20. Or make it a girl-and-girl costume, because who says only dudes hunt?
21. This super easy costume can be put together quickly: brown leggings with white dots painted on, white shirts, Uggs, and makeup.
22. You can always make your deer very feminine and *pretty* by creating the costume out of a tutu. And of course, add flowers.
Which deer costume is your favorite? Which one do you dislike the most? Let me know in the comments.