Relationship goals–the kind that presents a pair of conventionally hot, physically fit, usually heterosexual people as a relationship model that you should try to emulate for no reason other than that they are hot–are bad. This is an opinion that, on many occasions, I have presented as a fact because my sometimes over-critical and circular line of reasoning has led me to believe, personally, that wanting your relationship to be like the ones you see on social media is a terrible concept.
But you know what? Sometimes it is best not to think about things so hard. I am not telling you to stop thinking critically here–always use your skills of deductive reasoning!–and I am also not saying that relationships are ever anything that should be held to the standard of, like, a two-dimensional, blandly attractive couple wearing matching sweatpants and personalized Calvin Klein underwear. But it can be nice to sit back and just enjoy the very specific aesthetic that relationship goals couples set forth. Not in the sense that I am about to abandon all of my previously-vocalized morals and buy some giant teddy bears and mark my territory in my boyfriend’s Instagram by writing a special message in his bio, of course, but, like, fine. Whatever. I have probably (definitely) enjoyed the odd relationship goals photo here and there. So, check out these couples–ones that are commonly designated as “goals”–that, by many standards, are actually cute:
1. I mean:
this is so cute pic.twitter.com/uIIOEtjyDT
— Relationship Goals ღ (@myflirtyways) September 30, 2016
2. Old couples are, objectively, always goals:
3. As are Chrissy Teigen and John Legend. On an aesthetic level, obviously:
4. Obviously, if we’re talking about aesthetic, we have to also talk about Kim and Kanye:
5. Also, Gigi and Zayn, the couple I choose to keep up with on Yolanda Hadid’s Instagram:
6. Get you a man who literally only follows you and his fan accounts on Instagram:
it is important to note that zayn literally only follows his fan accounts and his fake girlfriend on instagram pic.twitter.com/o5NDuUSTRF
— Sara Hendricks (@shendrickslamar) October 3, 2016
7. And only likes your tweets:
— Gabriela Barkho (@gabrielabarkho) October 6, 2016
10. Love a good mountain range photo:
11. I don’t know this couple. But I like them!
12. Basically, any couple can be relationship goals:
I swear this shit had me in tears bruh LMAO Tag a friend #InspiredMobility #GAINSCo #weBEAST #weLIFT #BlackBoyJoy #SoGoneChallenge #KapSoBlack #SideNiggaSunday #KTHM #RHB #BeardedMen #SweetPwussySatDay #Empire #EmpireFox #Power #RelationshipGoals #Unbothered #LHHNY #LHHATL #HTGAWM #BaeWatch #LHHH #RatchetPeopleMeet #FitThickArmy #HoodVines #Beastmode #DoYouEven #TWD #HoodComedy
13. Still single? It’s fine. This can still be your ultimate #RelationshipGoals:
14. And, naturally, this:
Relationship goals pic.twitter.com/KQzQU4c28x
— Marc Snetiker (@MarcSnetiker) October 1, 2016
What do you think of these couples? Are they actually goals to you? Let us know in the comments!