Despite the tremendous amount of creative, unique, and out-there DIY costumes on Pinterest and Instagram, you will still see some of the most cliche and repeated costumes every single Halloween. There’s nothing wrong with wearing something that has been done at least five million other times, if that’s what you’re into. But, if you’re going to go that route, at least spring for something DIY that you can make a little bit more different and fun. One of the most popular costumes, year after year, is a mermaid. You literally cannot go one Halloween without seeing a girl dressed as a shimmery, glittery mermaid. I dare you to try. You can’t!
I, like so many other people in this world, also love mermaids, and I have always wanted to dress up as one for Halloween, but I haven’t, because I haven’t been able to figure out a way to make it a little bit more exciting… until now. I looked up DIY ideas for mermaid costumes, and I am thrilled to report that with just a little extra effort and some crafting magic, you can put together a mermaid costume that will stand out from the crowd of other mer-people. I mean, it still wont’ be as creative as something like a DIY IUD costume, but you’ll look good, and more importantly, you’ll feel happy, so who cares?
So, if you’re planning on dressing as a mermaid this Halloween, read this post first. You’ll find tutorials on everything from mermaid makeup to costume separates that are so much better than spending $80 on an uncomfortable plastic “tail” from Party City. Check out these DIY mermaid costume tutorials and start crafting!
1. Use fishnet stockings and makeup on your face to create the look of scales.
2. Make your own mermaid costume instead of buying one. The below links shows you how to make a sequin maxi skirt that mimics a tail, but sequined maxis are also sold online if you’d prefer to just purchase one.
3. Learn how to make the prettiest mermaid shell bra ever.
4. Make a pretty starfish hair clip to hold back your mermaid waves.
5. Get every last detail right with this gradient mermaid nail art tutorial.
6. Mermaid makeup looks more authentic when it includes seashells and jewels. Here’s how to do it:
7. Get temporary colorful mermaid hair by using hair chalk – here’s how!
8. Not into the idea of wearing a long sequined skirt or something similar? These DIY mermaid fins are cute and super easy to wear.
9. Turn a devil’s pitchfork (which you can buy almost anywhere around Halloween) into a mermaid accessory with a few tweaks:
10. Go for a blue scale look with this pretty makeup tutorial.
11. If you don’t want to use face makeup, at least make your eyes look mermaid-ish. This tutorial is easy to follow and so pretty.
12. Lauren Conrad once dressed as a mermaid, and the costume was epic. Here’s how to create your own:
13. Make your own shell bobby pins to clip in your hair for a pretty extra.
14. Do something totally different with these mermaid “ears.” They’re so cool!
15. Take a cheap crown and use some extra supplies to turn it into a super cool mermaid crown.
16. Instead of being a “pretty” mermaid, go for something more gory – a “hooked’ mermaid. This makeup tutorial is all you need:
17. Or go for something more classic with this gorgeous multi-colored mermaid makeup.
18. Want to wear pants and still look like a mermaid? This tutorial shows you exactly how to do that:
Which one of these DIY mermaid costume tutorials is your favorite? What did we forget to include? Let mr know in the comments.