You know what time of year it is, don’t you? Besides pumpkin spice season, besides the start of all of the new TV shows, besides the beginning of the school year. That’s right, it’s time to start thinking about your Halloween costume. I know, you might be moaning and covering your ears. It was literally only yesterday that you were tanning outside and thinking that summer might never end. The weather may still be nice, but it is never too early to start planning your Halloween costume. We have less than two months to go people, and if you want to impress everyone, you need to get cracking.
If you’re not down with buying some too-hot polyester dress for $80, skip the costume shop and take a look at what you have in your wardrobe. There are a surprising number of looks you can create with clothes that you already have in your closet. You can be anything from your fave TV character to your favorite celeb just by choosing the right pieces, and styling your hair and makeup just right.
When you take inspiration from your own wardrobe for your Halloween costume, you don’t have to worry about fighting the crowds for that last pair of Harley Quinn hot pants and you won’t be crying that you spent $100 on a look that you are never going to wear again. (Don’t kid yourself, you’re never gonna wear it next year.) Check out 14 Halloween costumes you can create with clothes.
1. Pair your tank top and shorts with boots and you can be Lara Croft. Then go steal a tool belt from your friend to complete the look.
2. Come on, how many ’90s pieces do you have in your wardrobe? You probably already look like Cher from Clueless on most days, so just use the look as your costume.
3. Who doesn’t own an oversized white shirt? (If you don’t, bae does.) Add some socks and sunglasses and you have yourself a Risky Business costume.
4. A striped shirt is a wardrobe staple. It also works for a Where’s Waldo costume when you add a hat and glasses.
5. Throw on a white dress and boots. Then gather your hair into space buns. Voila, you’re Princess Leia.
6. Barbie-fy that hot pink dress with coordinating heels and lipstick. It’s up to you if you want your SO to be Ken.
7. Mary Poppins wouldn’t be caught dead in some tacky polyester dress and neither should you. Pair a crisp blouse with a black skirt. All that is missing from your supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus look in an umbrella.
8. Bring out all of your festival clothes for a hippie look. Groovy, man.
9. Oh baby, baby. It is time to bust out that old school uniform again for a Britney Spears-inspired costume.
10. Yours (or your grandma’s) furry coat makes for an easy Royal Tenenbaums costume. Bonus: It’s one Halloween costume that is actually warm.
11. Take your black maxi dress and transform yourself into Morticia Addams. I assume you also have the red lipstick?
12. Who cares that Halloween doesn’t fall on Wednesday this year. Grab some pink and be Cady or a Plastic from Mean Girls. Get your friends involved to make it a great group costume.
13. Already been Morticia? Then you can be Wednesday Addams. Grab a schoolgirl-style dress from your closet and braid your hair into pigtails.
14. Black dress? Check. Furry white jacket? Check. Red lipstick? Check. Fishnets? Check. Now, you have a Cruella de Vil costume.
What are you planning on being for Halloween this year? Let us know in the comments!
Follow Gurl, Pretty Please!