In the last few months, patches have become one of the coolest accessories in the fashion world. Reminiscent of the ’80s and ’90s, patches are fun, colorful, and an interesting way to add a bit of unique personality to any item of clothing you own. They’re also super easy to use and inexpensive to purchase (don’t get tricked into buying anything pricey – you find thousands of patches on Etsy for amazing deals!). You can iron them on to clothes or accessories for something slightly more permanent, or you can just pin them to anything if you want to be able to move them around. Whatever you choose, everyone should be playing around with them this fall.
If you aren’t sure where to start, let me guide you. Patches are so easy to work with, and they can be placed literally anywhere – but I understand if you need a little inspiration before you start the crafting process. Embellish any clothing piece with just one statement patch, or go all out and cover every single inch of a surface. You can choose patches with bold quotes, or ones with adorable little images on them. The possibilities are basically endless. Ready to have some fun with your wardrobe this fall? Here are 20 style tips on how to wear patches.
1. Make a plain sweater instantly more interesting by adding a bunch of fun patches. You can put them in clusters to make it look more deliberate.
2. Probably the most popular way to wear patches is to put them all over a denim jacket. You can do a whole bunch of them for a cool collage look if you want to stand out.
3. Put your patches on a leather jacket for a more glam look.
4. Add some cute tiny patches to your destroyed jeans to make them look more fun.
5. Or you can go for bigger patches. Smaller ones are obviously a little more subtle, but both looks are adorable.
6. Use one large patch on your back pocket or the side of your jeans.
7. Wearing a turtleneck? Put a bunch of tiny patches along the collar of your shirt for something different and fun.
8. Make a pair of plain white sneakers way more interesting by ironing on a bunch of little patches.
9. Add just a few patches to your denim jacket for fun. You can even pin them on so that you can take them off if needed.
10. Do you have a boring backpack? Decorate it with patches to show off your personality to the whole school.
11. Add a small cluster of patches to a plain white tee to brighten it up. You can get white tees for super cheap, so this is a fun way to add to your wardrobe for fall.
12. Most people just do random patches, but you can do more of a theme if you want – like all different kinds of lips.
13. Add patches to a cute crossbody bag that you’re getting bored of. It instantly becomes a fun and colorful accessory.
14. Bright patches on a striped shirt take a classic and make it even better.
15. Smaller patches are great for making patch “collages,” but bigger patches can look really cute too. Add them to your jeans (or anything else).
16. Ready to get in on the baseball hat trend? Grab a plain one and sew or iron a patch onto it.
17. Add colorful patches to any outfit that’s on the more professional side to make it more *you.*
18. Bomber jackets are a huge trend for fall. Make yours more unique by adding lots of patches.
19. Arrange your patches into a fun design.
20. Spruce up an old sweatshirt with lots and lots of patches.
Do you wear patches? What’s your favorite thing to put them on? Tell us in the comments.