In case you missed it, the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards (better known as the VMAs) aired last night, and it was… insane. This is exactly the reason I enjoy watching the VMAs: with the exception of a few snooze-fest years, they always deliver a surprising show with unexpected moments that are worth talking about for a while. Hate on the celebrities in attendance all you want, but you can’t deny that the reactions, the conversations started, and the hilarious memes and GIFs following the show are pop culture perfection.
There are tons of iconic VMA moments throughout history, and last night only added to the vault. The performances slayed, from Beyonce to Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Britney Spears, and even Halsey and The Chainsmokers. Rihanna was undoubtedly the queen of the night, with Bey following in a close second (obviously). Drake was the most ~Drake~ he has ever been. Kanye West was weird but also managed not to put anyone into a rage spiral. Some of our favorite Olympics athletes were there being ridiculously adorable. And… okay, I don’t want to talk about everything without including the best GIFs and tweets of the night. Whether you watched the show or decided to sleep on it, here are the craziest and funniest moments from the VMAs:
1. Beyonce and Blue Ivy made an absolutely epic entrance to start the night.
2. The rest of Beyonce’s entourage was just as epic.
— WinnieHarlow♔ (@winnieharlow) August 29, 2016
She brought Lezley McSpadden (mother of Michael Brown), as well as the mothers of Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and Oscar Grant, to make a Black Lives Matter statement. Bey also brought model Winnie Harlow, Quvenzhane Wallis, and YouTubers Chloe and Halle Bailey.
3. Rihanna performed four times last night, but my favorite was her opening medley of hits.
4. Drake won an award but he was “stuck in traffic.”
— Seventeen (@seventeen) August 29, 2016
5. Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj performed together, then pretended to have backup dancers go down on them.
6. Alicia Keys sang/screamed a poem in honor of Martin Luther King and wore no makeup while doing it.
7. Kanye West spoke… about nothing?
— Kardashian Reactions (@KardashianReact) August 29, 2016
8. Although he did bring up Ray J and gave Amber Rose a shoutout.
9. He also mentioned Taylor Swift indirectly.
10. And then debuted his new music video, which featured the gorgeous Teyana Taylor and a weird ending.
11. Naomi Campbell made everyone want to buy Pat McGrath’s new lipstick.
— Pat McGrath (@patmcgrathreal) August 29, 2016
12. Nick Jonas did a performance featuring Internet celebrities The Fat Jewish and Joanne The Scammer.
13. Beyonce basically performed all of Lemonade.
14. And obviously did whatever she wanted…
MTV: how much time do you need to perform?
Beyoncé: all of it
— Look Who Just (@OfCourseDrew) August 29, 2016
15. And clearly slayed.
16. Britney Spears gave a good performance, but also very obviously lip synced?
And it’s like, most celebrities lip sync during performances like this, especially when dancing, but… they also pull it off better.
17. The women’s gymnastics Final Five, minus Gabby Douglas, presented an award to Beyonce, and Simone giggled in the cutest way.
18. Then Laurie Hernandez got super excited about hugging Beyonce.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) August 29, 2016
19. Jimmy Fallon dressed as Ryan Lochte and it wasn’t that funny.
20. But Michael Phelps’ earnest “OH MY GOD” was.
Michael Phelps goes "OH MY GOD" when Jimmy Fallon came out as Ryan Lochte pic.twitter.com/nwGqTGr8hZ
— #1 Rachel ✨ (@rachel) August 29, 2016
21. Drake made it out of NYC traffic to present Rihanna with the Video Vanguard award and also confess his love.
Drake pulled up right before the night ended like a 90s rom com
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) August 29, 2016
22. Then tried to kiss her and she maybe curved.
— Huffington Post (@HuffingtonPost) August 29, 2016
23. Which made Twitter go crazy.
drake: i love you
rihanna:…….didn't they tell you that i was savage
— lesbian coin (@sailorfemme) August 29, 2016
24. Celebrities freaked out over Beyonce, like Chance The Rapper.
And Laurie Hernandez again…
— Laurie Hernandez ➶ (@lzhernandez02) August 29, 2016
25. Oh, and Kim Kardashian-West and Kanye were pretty freakin’ cute.
Find someone who looks at u the way Kanye and Kim look at each other pic.twitter.com/38qidTuuJe
— FREDDY (@FreddyAmazin) August 29, 2016
Did you watch the VMAs? What was your favorite moment? Tell us in the comments.