If you haven’t noticed, off-the-shoulder tops and dresses have been everywhere this summer. News aggregator theSkimm has noticed this too, apparently, because in this morning’s issue, they provided this term, “shawling,” as a “thing to know:”
Hmm. I have some reservations about “shawling” as a noun-turned-verb (just as I have reservations about theSkimm as whole! I subscribe to it, and I think that it is a great way to stay abreast of the news in a “fun” way, though I do often feel that their hyper-trendy, “YASS KWEEN” rhetoric is sometimes a little too forcedly casual when describing certain events that might deserve a touch more solemnity, like, say, an ISIS-sponsored suicide bombing. But that is a thought for another day!) I don’t know that “shawling,” the term, is a real thing that anyone has ever or will ever use (what is your source for this, Skimm? Attribution is everything!), but it did get me thinking of ways to transition any shoulder-baring tops or dresses into the fall. The off-the-shoulder trend is one that tends to feel decidedly wedded to summer, and with good reason–exposed shoulders are the best way to show off tan lines and get a little bit more of a breeze–but, if the term “shawling” is going to enter our vernacular now, just a week before Labor Day, we might as well find some ways to use it, no? Anyway, check out these ways to “shawl” into the fall this year:
1. See? So summery:
2. Too summery, even:
3. It doesn’t have to be, though–pair an off-the-shoulder top with wide-leg jeans for a look that you can wear to class, but still looks decidedly careffree:
4. Skinny jeans work, too:
5. Pair with some Oxford flats to make it it extra “fall:”
6. Try wearing off-the-shoulder in darker colors, too, like this charcoal gray:
7. It’s especially effective if the off-the-shoulder top you choose isn’t so off-the-shoulder, like this:
8. You can also try a long-ish, darker-colored skirt paired with sneakers if you want to go for that normcore aesthetic:
Still obsessing over the – off the shoulder top look ( my fav summer trend ) summer please stay ' I love you RitzyKriola – #fashionista #summer #style #ootd #photography #offtheshoulder #lookbook #streetstyle #igdaily #lifestyle #fashion #blog #fashionblogger #nike #gray #white #sunnies #trend #girly #boston #bostonstylist #fashionaddict
9. In many places, the weather doesn’t get cold until later on–try a darker-colored dress so you can stay cool:
10. Also worthy of consideration–shorts, tights, and over-the-knee boots:
11. Or a sweatsuit! Why not combine the athleisure trend with the off-the-shoulder one?
12. Overalls are cool, too:
13. A plaid pattern makes the look extra fall:
14. If you’re into culottes, this makes an awesome outfit that transitions seamlessly between fall and summer:
15. I mean. Is this a perfect first day of school outfit, or is this a perfect first day of school outfit?
What do you think of this look? Will you wear it this fall? Let us know in the comments!