If you are a part of “Relationship Goals” Twitter and Instagram–the quiet, but not insignificant, subset of the internet that pines away for relationships that are not theirs–it is likely that there has been but one question plaguing you lately: Did Jay and Alexis break up?
If the words “Jay” and “Alexis” and “breakup” are somehow meaningless to you, allow me to explain. Jay Alvarrez and Alexis Ren are two individual people who, together, make up the necessary components of the internet-famous couple Jay and Alexis, a pair of models whose fame stems, primarily, from the fact that they are together. Recently, though, there have been a series of signs–deleted photos, cryptic tweets, snapchats featuring other people–that appear to point to the fact that this unit may be no more.
I am not much for the concept of relationship goals as a whole (nor am I for the concept of Jay and Alexis, like, in general) but there is nothing in this world that I love more than a good internet celebrity-based conspiracy theory. It was my duty, then, to delve deep into the case as soon as Jessica Booth alerted me to it (who would have written this pist, it should be noted, but felt she was “too close to the subject.”)
My conclusion? They are….probably broken up. Almost certainly broken up. Very nearly beyond a shadow of a doubt over for good. The only thing that holds me back from from saying that they are definitely, certainly broken up is that neither one of them has confirmed the breakup, probably due to the fact that being a couple has significantly strengthened both of their careers. But, either way, check out these weird signs that seem to prove that Jay and Alexis are broken up:
1. First, there is the simple matter of distance–Jay has been in Greece and the Bahamas for about a month, while Alexis has been in Los Angeles and is now in Bali, apparently. Relatable!
2. In fact, they haven’t been spotted together since the Revolve party in the Hamptons on July 6th:
3. This caption–a cryptic one, sure–has everyone thinking that it really means something–the “you” here, presumably, is Jay:
4. This tweet, too. (Jay is an “it” now):
If anyone can have it I don't want it
— Alexis Ren (@AlexisRenG) August 14, 2016
5. And, uh, this one from Jay. Which is maybe a response?
Don't feel guilty for your fucked up desires, it's human
— Jay Alvarrez (@jayalvarrez) August 16, 2016
6. And this one (he’s not describing Alexis here!)
Dark olive skin & tattoos is my favorite combination
— Jay Alvarrez (@jayalvarrez) August 10, 2016
7. Speaking of Twitter, they have definitely unfollowed each other there:
Jay and Alexis unfollowed each other on Twitter ??
— dillan white. (@dillanxwhite) August 8, 2016
8. But not on Instagram, which, hmmmm:
9. They have deleted–or edited–many of the pictures they were in together, too:
10. There is also this picture, which I know does not technically mean anything, but I do not believe that an honest man would hold a baby in such a way:
11. In any case, people certainly seem to think they are broken up, and, subsequently, are pretty bummed out about it. Maybe the next designated #relationshipgoals couple will fare better? Who can say:
ALL I SEE ON INSTA IS THAT JAY AND ALEXIS BROKE UP AND JESSE AND SAV BROKE UP AND IM JUST DEAD WHY IM CRYING WHAT IS HAPPENING
— Lyssss (@lyssaaaxox) August 13, 2016
jay and alexis broke up so what even is the point anymore
— sona♡ (@justSona) August 8, 2016
Crying because Jay and Alexis broke up and I just found this out…..
— Emma Clopton (@CloptonEmma) August 8, 2016