Fall is just around the corner, which means that denim is soon to be inescapable. While summer is all about light, airy dresses and breezy tank tops, fall is all about new denim trends and stylish jeans. It only makes sense: as the weather gets cooler, the opportunity to comfortably wear your favorite pair of jeans presents itself more and more. The thing is, though, the beginning of fall means we’re in for some of that seriously annoying transitional weather. You know what I’m talking about: when it’s too chilly to wear your sundress and sandals, but too warm to wear your new comfy layers. This is when you need to rely on transitional pieces, one of which happens to be the denim dress.
A denim dress is versatile and easy to layer – you can wear it on its own with sandals on a warmer day, or you can put it under some sweaters and over a pair of tights and feel cozy. Aside from its wearability, denim dresses also happen to be *very trendy* this year. The fall 2016 fashion world is always all about denim, but this year, it’s even bigger. This year, denim isn’t only confined to jeans and jackets: it’s also popular in dress form, accessories, skirts, and even shoes. My favorite form is clearly the dress. Denim dresses can be super casual or a little bit more dressed up, and they have a really fun ’70s vibe to them while still feeling more modern. Want to know how to wear your own denim dress for either summer or fall? Check out these outfit ideas for some style tips on how to wear a denim dress – you’re bound to find inspiration somewhere.
1. If denim dresses sound boring to you, here’s proof that they can be glamorous: when worn under a long blazer vest with heels and cute accessories, denim dresses look seriously stylish.
2. Combine two trends at once and wear an off-the-shoulder denim dress. With sandals and a hat, it makes a super easy late summer/early fall ensemble.
3. A baseball cap and sneakers make any denim dress instantly more casual and comfortable.
4. For chillier fall days, a cozy blanket scarf makes a summery denim dress more warm.
5. For even colder days, just add tights and a scarf. Layers make this piece work for literally any season.
6. For a super quick outfit that still looks put together, add flat sandals and a Panama hat.
7. Go for a denim maxi dress for something a little bit more unique. This has definitely throwback vibes, but cute shoes and a thin belt keep it looking trendy.
8. For those days when it’s cold in the morning and hot during the day, throw a scarf or kimono over your shoulders and add a pair of flats.
9. The best thing about denim dresses? You can add a pair of sneakers and you’re good to go!
10. Lace up flats and a cute choker take a denim dress from boring casual to adorable casual.
11. As the weather gets cooler, you can layer your summery denim dress over a long sleeved shirt. It looks particularly good over a striped shirt.
12. A loose denim shirtdress is a classic, but if you want to add more shape, put a thin belt on.
13. One simple accessory, like a statement necklace, can bring your denim dress to the next level.
14. There are still plenty of hot days in your future! Pair a tank denim dress with mirrored sunglasses and a pair of mules for the perfect summer look.
15. Statement pieces like gladiator sandals and a floppy hat work well with an understated denim dress.
16. Use your denim shirtdress as a vest instead of a dress by leaving it unbuttoned over another dress.
17. Layer an overall style denim dress over a button down shirt for something quirky yet professional.
18. Combat boots add a bit of an edge to any denim dress.
19. Patchwork denim is very *in* right now, so wear it on a denim dress for a serious statement making outfit.
20. Add espadrilles or wedges for a quick party look.
How would you wear a denim dress? Which outfit idea is your favorite? Share in the comments!