Going from middle school to high school is an experience, to say the least. A few summer months doesn’t seem like a lot, but the time away between eighth grade and ninth grade can change pretty much everything. Between an increase in nerves and the pressure to do all of the right things, your first week of high school can mean you will do some instantly regrettable things. Freshman year is tough, and while you’re trying to find your own unique coolness, you’ll end up in some awkward and embarrassing situations. It’s hard to feel cool as a high school freshman, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t going to try.
Just embrace it! Nobody has it all together during their first week of high school. For those of us who are about that Awkward Girl Life, you know that embarrassing yourself in public is just par for the course. The mistakes you make when you’re just starting out in HS are going to become some seriously funny stories later on, so as stupid as you might feel about them now, just try to embrace them. The first week of school will be weird, amazing, terrifying, exhausting, and strangely exhilarating, and even if it feels like you’re the only one regretting every word that comes out of your mouth, you’re not. As proof, here are 17 instantly regrettable things all girls do during their first week of high school. You’re not alone! Promise.
1) Blow all your cool new back to school clothes in the first week alone.
You’re so focused on making the right stylish impression that you wear literally everything at once. Oops. Try to stretch ’em out by mixing new pieces with your old ones.
2) Try to piece together a first day outfit that communicates the right level of cool without trying too hard, while ending up looking like you tried too hard.
The prep work is REAL.
3) You low key try to make cute gym class outfits, too.
If you go somewhere that doesn’t have a uniform for gym, too, you know what I’m talking about.
4) Get to school and feel the urge to change IMMEDIATELY.
How could you be so off base? You hate your outfit the second you walk in the door, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Ugh.
5) Overstuff your backpack to death.
Ouch is an understatement. By lunch time, you’re so weighed down that you wish you could just go home.
6) Bring a ton of unnecessary school supplies.
Why did you think you needed all of this, again?
7) Walk around with that snail shell of a backpack for the entire day.
Drop it off at your locker? Where is your locker? How much time does it take to get to your next class? Yeah, don’t think so. Snail shell it is.
8) Get so completely lost you have to ask for help.
Even though where you want to go is literally two feet away from you.
9) Try to socialize with the wrong group of people.
They’re either too intensely into friendship or so standoffish you seem thirsty.
10) Attempt to decode who’s popular and what the social standing is.
Don’t bother. That changes all the time.
11) Totally lie about who you are and what you like to do in order to seem cool.
We all do this. Why. Do we never learn?
12) Gotten caught in that lie without knowing it.
You will get trapped and it will suck the most. So, it’s best not to lie, okay?
13) Low key start planning who you want to go to homecoming with.
It’s so soon! And you know no one! If you flirt wit this person right now, they might be willing to go “as friends” and you can see where to take it from there, but at least you have a date, right? No, just me?
14) Flirt with someone who is already in a relationship.
There’s new people all around you – how are you supposed to know who’s dating who?! Not even a week in and you already make an enemy. Ugh.
15) Embarrass yourself in front of a new teacher accidentally.
Whether you’re caught staring because they’re so cute or because you’ve accidentally pissed them off, it doesn’t matter – it’s the worst feeling.
16) Start a hopeless crush on someone completely out of the realm of possibility.
Hello, senior dude who is dating the most popular girl in school. You’re in love. How did it happen?
17) Do something that makes seemingly everyone laugh at you.
Sigh. At least you’re not alone.
What’s the most awkward thing you’ve done in high school? Did you regret it? Or did you rock it? Let us know in the comments!
You can follow the author, Aliee Chan, on Twitter.