The best thing about heading back to school at the end of the summer is stocking up on the cutest/coolest school supplies. There’s something almost cathartic about purchasing new pens, pencils, erasers, and notebooks… especially notebooks. Opening a fresh notebook and writing the date on the very first page is as close to pure school joy as you can get, I think. There are obviously tons of notebook options out there that are adorable, aesthetically pleasing, helpful, badass, or whatever you want them to be, but in the end, it’s a little more special to make your own. If you want a unique one no one else will have, these DIY ways to decorate your notebook are for you.
Adding your own crafty touches to a boring notebook is a fun way to make the beginning of the school year a little bit more exciting. It’s also a cool way to make note-taking in class more interesting (kind of?). Aside from that, these simple craft ideas take up your time when you’re bored. And some of them might help you save money, which is always a plus.
Even if you’re not a student, you could probably use a notebook for organizing, to be used as a planner, or for a journal. Why not mkae your own? Check out these DIY ideas on notebook decorating for inspiration that will actually get you excited about September.
1. Use metallic foil to create an eye-catching notebook design that can be as detailed or simple as you’d like.
2. Make your notebook look glamorous and super chic with a DIY marble cover.
3. Tumblr is full of aesthetically pleasing images. Pick some of your favorites, then use this tutorial to make them into a seriously cool notebook.
4. Go for something more feminine and pretty with a DIY eyelet bound notebook.
5. Upcycle an old cereal box to make mini notebooks that can easily fit in your bag and make organizing easier.
6. Turn your notebook cover into a mini chalkboard to write important reminders or draw cute little doodles.
7. Quickly cover up a boring or ugly notebook cover with your favorite fabric.
8. Use any kind of printed paper and some Washi tape to play around with colors and designs.
9. Gold detailing looks chic no matter where it is. Make your favorite designs and put them on solid colored notebooks.
10. Go for trendy minimalist style with this DIY Kate Spade copycat notebook.
11. Use paper to create a cool notebook with a pocket on the front so it can also hold pens, pencils, or stickers.
12. Try paint splattering to make a colorful and bright notebook design.
13. If you’re bummed about summer ending, print out your favorite summer photos and make them into a notebook cover to look at whenever you’re feeling sad.
14. Get all ~artsy and ~cool by cutting your favorite Tumblr images into triangles.
15. Gold sharpie is all you need to transform a plain black notebook.
16. You can also use any color Sharpie to create tiny little dots that form a cool image.
17. Watercolor paints make the prettiest notebook covers out there.
18. If you want something more structured, try making this wood notebook, which is cooler than it sounds.
19. Paste your favorite Tumblr images onto a plain white cover for something cool and unique.
20. You can also look for free printables, like the below, to use on any notebook cover.
Which DIY Notebook cover is your favorite? What do you love about school supplies? Tell us in the comments.