Every time I go into an Urban Outfitters store, I am immediately lured to the section of wall tapestries. I stand there and stare at them, then go home, look them up online, and wonder if I should order one. I love wall tapestries, which can transform the look of your entire bedroom with less permanent consequences, but they’re pricey, and I can never justify the money. Wall hangings in general are awesome pieces of decor. They can breathe fresh life into a boring bedroom, and they’re especially great for dorm rooms, because they aren’t causing damage and they still make a big difference. But if you don’t want to spend the money, why not make some DIY tapestries of your own?
It sounds crazy, but DIY wall hangings and tapestries aren’t as difficult as you think. Plus, the end result is worth it if you’re trying to make over your bedroom or if you really want your dorm room to look more cozy and inviting. Before you drop over 100 bucks at Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie, try making your own wall decorations. They’re extra special that way! If you’re creative and crafty, these will probably be a breeze, but if you’re more of a beginner, some might be on the tough side. Pick what works for you and start experimenting. Here are 18 DIY wall hangings and tapestries that can transform your entire bedroom.
1. This is a tutorial for a DIY printed rug, but doesn’t it also look like a tapestry? You can totally make it into one! Just hang it on the wall instead of putting it on the floor, and you’ve got yourself a gorgeous tapestry.
2. Use canvas and a wooden stick to make a little wall banner that says whatever quote or phrase you want on your wall.
3. Play around with some feathers to create a smaller, super boho wall hanging. It just gives a touch of earthy decor to your bedroom.
4. Grab a canvas or a sheet and teach yourself how to do some fun ikat art. This makes for a gorgeous wall hanging.
5. Make a macrame curtain to either use as a door blocker or to just hang on your wall. This is great if you want some separation in your dorm.
6. If that macrame curtain is too big and intimidating for you, try something smaller, like this.
7. Use an old white sheet, stencils, and some paint to create a really cool looking tapestry to cover your entire wall.
8. Dye cloth or a sheet using this technique, then add a design of your choice… and then you’ve got a seriously boho tapestry.
9. Use fabric of your choice and some glue to create a cool quote on a hanging banner.
10. This ombre look is a little different and very cool looking.
11. A lot of wall hangings like this require a loom, but this tutorial doesn’t. Try it out!
12. Make this cool moon phases wall hanging for something really boho. You can really put any design here, though.
13. Make a fun shower curtain into a wall hanging with some quick steps.
14. Use lots of yarn to make this unique, colorful pompom wall hanging.
15. Get super creative with an old/cheap rug and some embellishments. It makes for awesome wall decor.
16. If you’re looking for something more minimalist, go for this tassel wall hanging.
17. Use bright yarn to create something colorful like this for a burst of sunshine in your room.
18. If you already have a few tapestries, or if you have some pretty sheets, you can create a dreamy canopy like this one.
Which one of these DIY tapestries are you going to try? What tutorials should we put up next? Let us know in the comments!