My absolute favorite thing about the summertime is all of the opportunities to be outside. Between hiking, going to the beach, hanging by the pool, or just going for a walk, there’s so much to do and so much time to ~*celebrate nature*~. The downside to all of this outdoor time? My hair seriously suffers. For the next few months, we all need to pay a little bit more attention to our locks, because heat, humidity, beach days, chlorine, and extra sun can really destroy them, even if we don’t realize it. If you start to focus on summer haircare now, rather than a month into the season, you can prevent damage before it even happens.
Maybe your beauty routine is super low-maintenance, and reading this is making you roll your eyes. Stick with me! Why should you care about your hair this summer? I’ll give you a few reasons. Extra sun exposure can fry your locks, making them dry and damaged, which leads to lots of frizz and breakage. Chlorine can discolor hair, especially if it’s light (the myth of green hair is totally true!). Being at the beach exposes hair to the super drying elements of not all only the sun, but also sand and salt water. And humidity won’t just make you look like a stressed out poodle is chilling on your head – it’s also hurting your hair.
You don’t need to put all of your time and effort into making sure your hair is okay, but these summer haircare tips are easy to follow and will save you money in trips to the salon for damage control. Check ’em out below and start protecting your hair from the evils of the sun, heat, and humidity, while still enjoying a good beach day.
1. If you want to keep your hair up and off of your skin, try these heat-proof styles:
2. Going swimming? First mix together this conditioning spray, then spray it all of your strands to protect them from the water.
3. Keep these tips in mind no matter what you’re doing:
4. Do these things every time you go for a swim, whether it’s in a pool or the beach.
5. It’s especially important to protect textured natural black hair from chlorine, which can get super, super dry. Here’s how:
6. This summer hair spray is a mix of aloe vera and essential oils to protect it from sun and humidity.
7. Want to get summer highlights without spending money? Try some lemon juice. Just don’t do it every single day, as it could make your hair dry.
8. If you swim a lot, you’ll want to stock up on these items to protect your hair:
9. Summer heat brings a lot of frizz with it. If you want to go the natural route, check out these DIY ideas you can do in your kitchen:
10. If you want to put minimal effort in, though, get yourself some of these anti-frizz products, which are also super helpful:
11. These products should be summer essentials for everyone, especially girls with natural black hair.
12. Protect your hair from the sun with these easy-to-make DIY sprays.
13. Want beach waves? Save a little money and make your own spray for effortless good hair days:
14. Sometimes your best bet is to keep hair out of the sun completely. To do that, try a head wrap like this one:
15. One of the best things you can do for dry locks is to hydrate them. Try using these basic ingredients for some deep conditioning:
16. These DIY deep conditioners are also great to try out:
17. Make your own detangling spray to avoid knots and breakage after a day outside.
18. This super easy coconut hair treatment will make your strands feel and look so silky.
19. On the bright side, summer heat can sometimes give you good texture. Play with it with these beach sprays, one for each hair type:
20. One of the worst things about having bangs is dealing with them in the summer. Try this easy bang braid to keep them off your face:
21. Follow the tips in the link below to keep light hair from turning green after too much pool time.
Which one of these summer hair care tips is your favorite? What did I forget to include? Let me know in the comments.